Barbara's Reviews > The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game

The Blind Side by Michael   Lewis

Mar 16, 2009

bookshelves: nf-favs, biography, sports, alex-award
Read in March, 2009

Let me be clear: I am not a football fan. My motivation for reading this book is its consideration as mandatory summer reading this year. Set in Memphis, Tennessee, a city still racially polarized forty years after MLK’s assassination, The Blind Side works on multiple levels: as an explanation of the NFL’s growing reliance on QB passing as a game strategy and the need for the QB to be protected from injury(hence the development of offensive left guard) , an expose of college football recruiting in an area of the country known for its veneration of the sport, and an illustration of the power of love (and money) to make a difference in a life destined to go nowhere. At 15, Michael Oher is 6’5”, 350 pounds and a gifted athlete. He is black, practically illiterate, and living on and off the streets. How he overcomes the obstacles and capitalizes on his talents makes a fascinating story, one that is sensitively handled and well-written. Michael Oher will graduate from college this year and is expected to be a first round NFL draft. I’ll be cheering him on.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blind Side.

message 1: by Petra X (new)

Petra X MLK? NFL? QB? I'm not an American, I have no idea what these terms mean. I was just looking to see if I might enjoy this book but if its full of these terms then I suppose its strictly for an American audience.

message 2: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Well, I do know that MLK is Martin Luther King, Jr. The other things? Not a clue, and I am (technically) an American. I'm going to go with football?

message 3: by Nancy (new)

Nancy NFL = National Football League
QB = quarterback (a position in American football)

I hate football and I hate acronyms.

message 4: by Petra X (new)

Petra X Nancy wrote: "NFL = National Football League
QB = quarterback (a position in American football)

I hate football and I hate acronyms."

Thanks Nancy. I couldn't for the life of me work out what QB was.

What I hate is the general assumption on the internet that everyone is American or if they are not are intimately familiar with the US's politics, geography and culture.