Delee's Reviews > Watership Down

Watership Down by Richard  Adams

bookshelves: favorites, books-i-have-read-more-than-once, buuuuuuuunniiiieees, own, reviewed, buddy-read
Read 10 times. Last read February 2, 2015 to February 11, 2015.

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

This is my all time favorite book...although some of my love for this book may be an emotional attachment to the time in my life when it was read for the first time. Before this book, my parents used to read to me at bedtime on my own...Eloise, Paddington Bear, and eventually Harriet the Spy..but then one magical day, my dad picked a book that he thought would suit the whole family...

photo c261820c-8316-46ae-b8dd-12def236c3f4_zps2f97f2de.jpg

WATERSHIP DOWN. Now I was allowed at the big people's table. I was six years old. My brother Les-ten. and my sister Bonnie-fourteen. Every night after supper we all gathered around -after my mom, and us children cleared the dishes- my dad read a chapter or two each night. It was a time when life was PERFECT. It was before any stresses hit our world.

photo 3b516edd-f78b-4daa-a88b-8e4b8c4ee352_zps7dc25b97.jpg

WATERSHIP DOWN is about a young bunny named Fiver who is a seer. One day he receives a frightening vision of his warren's imminent destruction. When he and his brother Hazel fail to convince their chief rabbit of the need to evacuate, they set out on their own with a small band of rabbits to search for a new home.

I will just say that many of my childhood pets have been named after characters in this book (two dogs and two cats, named after Pipkin and Fiver).

Probably most people that read this book will not have the same experience that I did, but to me it was a welcoming into the adult world of reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watership Down.

January 3, 2013 – Shelved
page 270
February 10, 2015 –
page 322
February 11, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan Mackay I did enjoy this also saw the animated tv version was very good too

Rita I read this book as an adult. I loved everything about it. It was recommended to me by another adult and I really enjoyed it. It is a book that I remember with affection. I read it over 30 years ago and when I saw it mentioned on Good Reads it brought a smile to my face.

Delee I read it every few years, and have recommended it to everyone I know! They are usually sceptical when I tell them it is about rabbits, but most of them are won over by it. :)

message 4: by Jeff (new)

Jeff This is adorable, Delee!

Delee The book or my review? lol

message 6: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Your review. I've never read the book, though I probably should.

Delee Well thank you Jeff!

..and YES you should read it! :)

message 8: by Gearóid (new)

Gearóid Lovely review.
A nice cozy family memory also.

Delee Thanks Gary.

The book and the memories do have a special place in my heart.

message 10: by Gearóid (new)

Gearóid Very nice.

message 11: by Dem (new)

Dem I never read this book but reading your review gave me a warm comfort feeling. What a lovey memory this book has brought back to you.

Delee That is exactly what this book brings to me too- a warm comfort feeling. Thanks Dem. :)

Terry Love the pics...where did you find them?

message 14: by Delee (last edited Mar 18, 2014 10:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Delee Terry wrote: "Love the pics...where did you find them?"

I just Googled Watership Down and looked in the images section.

They are from the movie.

message 15: by KK (new) - rated it 5 stars

KK Lovely review for a wonderful book. I read it many years ago and remember it well, but will have to re-read it soon.

Ivonne Rovira I read this in high school and enjoyed it very much too.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I have a friend named Stu who goes nuts for this book. I think it's the only one he's ever read, in fact. I've never read it. Don't tell Stu that, though.

message 18: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa I LOVE this book but haven't read it in many years - it's moving up the to read list (tissues at the ready)

Janice What a great memory of your father reading a book to your family!

Delee Lisa wrote: "I have a friend named Stu who goes nuts for this book. I think it's the only one he's ever read, in fact. I've never read it. Don't tell Stu that, though."

My lips are sealed....especially since I have nooooooooooooooo idea who Stu is. ;)

Delee Lisa wrote: "I LOVE this book but haven't read it in many years - it's moving up the to read list (tissues at the ready)"

I have read it sooooo many times. I never get tired of it.

Delee Janice wrote: "What a great memory of your father reading a book to your family!"

Thank you so much Janice!

Delee Keith wrote: "Lovely review for a wonderful book. I read it many years ago and remember it well, but will have to re-read it soon."

...and thank you too Keith. :)

Laura Great review. It's been on my list but I'm also nominating it for our family read. I can remember a friends dad reading to us as Tweens and its something we have always done with our daughter. Reading books as a family aloud is somewhat magical in itself.

message 25: by Delee (last edited Mar 19, 2014 09:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Delee I loved it! Thanks Laura

(view spoiler)

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Delee wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I have a friend named Stu who goes nuts for this book. I think it's the only one he's ever read, in fact. I've never read it. Don't tell Stu that, though."

My lips are sealed....espec..."

He's pretty easy to find. He's like the only guy around for miles. You'll like his wife. I'll introduce you some day.

Delee Lisa wrote: "Delee wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I have a friend named Stu who goes nuts for this book. I think it's the only one he's ever read, in fact. I've never read it. Don't tell Stu that, though."

My lips are s..."

Ohhhhhhhhhh Stu. I just got it...lol.

Carol Looking forward to reading this for the first time having just purchased the book with the wonderful bunny on the cover. Great review.

Courtney My all-time fave too!

message 30: by Delee (last edited Mar 21, 2014 08:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Delee Carol wrote: "Looking forward to reading this for the first time having just purchased the book with the wonderful bunny on the cover. Great review."

I will be waiting to see what you think of it. Thanks Carol!

Laura Delee wrote: "I loved it! Thanks Laura

"

She is 9. We are currently reading Rooftoppers and we did The Graveyard Book. So I think this will be good. I'll probably read it first.

Delee Laura wrote: "Delee wrote: "I loved it! Thanks Laura

"

Good okay. I just thought I would warn you so there were not any surprises.

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Laura wrote: "Delee wrote: "I loved it! Thanks Laura

"

Rooftoppers look so good! I think my daughter would love that one.

Laura I like to review them before we committ. After reading The Giver series I pushed it back a year or so because I'm not ready to explain or discuss all the subject matters exposed.

Delee A very smart way to do it. :)

message 36: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Laura wrote: "I like to review them before we committ. After reading The Giver series I pushed it back a year or so because I'm not ready to explain or discuss all the subject matters exposed."

Veeeery smart. I've gotten into one or two pickles by just assuming it's good to go and not reading it first.

Margitte Beautiful review. This is one of the books on my TBR that I really really would love to read. Your review just inspired me so much more!

Delee Thank you Margitte! I will look forward to hearing what you think.

✨Susan✨ Who would have thunk? Loving it.

Delee Susan wrote: "Who would have thunk? Loving it."

Ohhhhhhhhh, I am soooooo glad Susan!!! :D

message 41: by Beverly (new)

Beverly I've heard amazing things about this, but I've never actually read it because I was afraid that bad things happened to the bunnies...and I didn't want to be a weepy mess. :(

Delee Beverly wrote: "I've heard amazing things about this, but I've never actually read it because I was afraid that bad things happened to the bunnies...and I didn't want to be a weepy mess. :("

There may be some weeping..but it's worth it. :)

Libby I tutored a student with this book. We had a great time! She sent me a T-shirt from a company called out of print with the book cover on it! Love it!

Delee Libby wrote: "I tutored a student with this book. We had a great time! She sent me a T-shirt from a company called out of print with the book cover on it! Love it!"

Ohhhhhhhhhhh wow!! I have 8 different copies of the book- but I don't have a T-shirt..lol

Libby Well, I think you should!!

Wanda Lovely review--I enjoyed your memories of being invited to the Grown Up Table. And I adore Watership Down and have shared my life with 2 different bunnies as a result.

Delee Thanks Wanda!!

I just finished reading it for the 12 or 13th time in a group/buddy read. It never gets old for me. :D

message 48: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill Kupersmith My father, who scarcely read anything except Business Week, loved Watership Down & went about quoting it.

message 49: by Delee (last edited Feb 13, 2015 02:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Delee Bill wrote: "My father, who scarcely read anything except Business Week, loved Watership Down & went about quoting it."

I don't see it on your list, Bill. Have you ever read it?

message 50: by Dirk (new) - added it

Dirk Grobbelaar Thanks for the review. I've added this to my "to-read" list. I've been wanting to read it for ages, but I sort of forgot about it too.

« previous 1