Josh's Reviews > Dune

Dune by Frank Herbert

This book resonates with me because it's about one man's journey to reach his potential (against all odds, literally). In life, being fulfilled and making the most of our talents is what we all strive to do. In Dune, Paul Atreides is being hunted on an alien world and he has nothing but his own training and wits to survive (and don't forget his mom...). It's an incredible story (in spite of the hype) and a wondrous and complex journey. Oh, and I just like saying Paul's nickname, "Lisan al Gaib"....translated "the Voice from the Outer World" :)

I was floored by the accessible nature of an "alien" world where the centers of power and politics in the universe are fighting for control. The story is a simple survival tale and if you can put yourself in the heroes' shoes, you can understand the powerful draw of the story. It's dog-eat-dog in a grim intoxicating future.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dune.

January 3, 2013 – Started Reading
January 3, 2013 – Shelved
January 27, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Holly I totally agree with you, Josh! Are you planning on reading the sequels?

Josh Holly wrote: "I totally agree with you, Josh! Are you planning on reading the sequels?"

I hit the second book, Dune Messiah, which has some alluring themes of being a God-King and has Paul tempting fate. It wasn't as fast paced as the original and got bogged down, but it has a very realistic take on the toll being a monarch. I might one day pick up Children of Dune and see if that rekindles my love of the universe.