Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)'s Reviews > Through Dead Eyes

Through Dead Eyes by Chris Priestley

Having just visited Amsterdam I loved the touristy detail of the city. Was pretty slow-going until those last few chapters. Really liked that the story didn't end up as I expected!

Full review:

I've never read a book by this author before but what really attracted me to Through Dead Eyes by Chris Priestley is this very creepy cover and also that the book is set in Amsterdam, a place that I very recently visited. I really enjoy it when an author presents a place like Chris Priestley does with Amsterdam in such an accessible way. Alex describes his first impressions of Amsterdam in a way that felt believable to me. I loved viewing his brief attempts at tourism along the canals and through the Red Light District and seeing the flower market and some of the major museums in Amsterdam were similar to my own. It gives a great overview of what it might be like to visit this city for the first time, which made me happy.

And then together with this, there's also the very creepy and slightly sinister aspect of Alex finding this mask in a flea market that has connections to the little girl who lived in Alex and his dad's hotel centuries beforehand. Suddenly, Alex is pulled into a different and much older Amsterdam in which this little girl lived in and Alex can't help but want to find out more about her and what happened to her based on the experiences of hers that he witnesses through putting on the mask.

I did find the first two thirds of the book to be slightly slow-going. There seemed to be a lot of detail and build-up towards something dramatic happening but that doesn't happen until very near the end. I did really enjoy the fact that the conclusion to this story was very unexpected and came as a bit of a surprise!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Through Dead Eyes.

January 3, 2013 – Shelved