Jane's Reviews > A Delightful Arrangement

A Delightful Arrangement by Cecilia Gray

liked it

I found A Delightful Arrangement when I was browsing through the free books in the Kobo store, and didn't realise that it was in fact a novella.

I don't read a lot of romance novels; I'm fine with a story that contains a romance, but out-and-out romance isn't really my cup of tea. I was pleasantly surprised with A Delightful Arrangement. Having read a lot of Austen, I was perfectly comfortable with the Regency setting, although Gray's main male character, Philip, was a bit racier than Mr Darcy or Mr Willoughby!

Philip is the best friend of Francesca, though what she doesn't realise is that their fathers have agreed that they will be married. Francesca's relationship with her father is strained, mainly due to the fact that he probably isn't her biological father. When Francesca learns of the arrangement to see her married off, she baulks, telling Philip that she wants to go to London and find a man who will make her swoon, and not be pressured into a marriage with someone she feels is agreeing to it out of duty.

The characters are nicely written, and the sex scenes are steamy enough without veering into full blown erotica. There are a further three books in the series that follow the lives of other characters; the second one deals with Francesca's friend Chastity. I don't know if I will rush to read the subsequent books, as they are not a direct continuation of the story. But I'm pleased to have finished my first book of 2013!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Delightful Arrangement.