preppea's Reviews > The Stories of Isolde: Her Master's Domain

The Stories of Isolde by Belle  de Jour

Jan 02, 2013

liked it
bookshelves: novella, read-to-review, erotica, zz-reviewed

THE STORIES OF ISOLDE: HER MASTER’S DOMAIN is the first in a series of novellas about a young girl named Isolde who applies for a position as a servant and finds herself the new chambermaid of a lord who suffers from a mysterious affliction that keeps him close to home (and his chambermaids) at all times.

I thought Belle de Jour did a great job with the world-building of this novella. Her descriptions paint a colorful picture and the reader can fully imagine the world Isolde enters. I thought the descriptions of Sir Rhys (the lord) however were rather vague and left him very flat. As a result, I didn’t believe Isolde when she described desiring him and it lacked the passion I usually enjoy in the erotica genre. It almost felt to me like the book was written with a male reader in mind - the way Isolde’s reactions and the sex scenes were described. I also would have liked for Sir Rhys’ affliction to be demonstrated in more depth – it didn’t seem like such an affliction to me but perhaps that will be further explored in the second book in the series.

All in all, I think the series has potential as the concept is good and the author has a flair for very colorful descriptions of the world. I’m hoping the second book in the series develops stronger three-dimensional characters and that the erotica aspect gets a little edgier and passionate.

**Copy provided by the author for an honest review.

**Reviewed by Michelle on I ♥ Bookie Nookie Reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stories of Isolde.