Lazarus P Badpenny Esq's Reviews > Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain

Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks

Mar 14, 2009

bookshelves: contemporary, delighted-states, ideas, the-unquiet-mind, littlekrakowton-litchat-chit-chat, secret-harmonies, 2009
Read in June, 2009

Roll up, Roll up

As a newcomer to the writing {if not the reputation} of the esteemed Doctor it is with raised expectations that I have waited in line, as tightly gripped by excitement as I have gripped the admission fee {in the form of my own bookish curiosity}, to take my turn through the turnstiles beneath the illuminated sign overhead that bids 'WELCOME', welcome indeed to the freakshow that is Sacksville, USA.

Once through the gate I take a moment to take in the view; amidst an unchallenging landscape characterized by smooth-flowing rivers of prose sits a township whose appearance is deceptively suburban. Constructed from an architecture of carefully assembled anecdotes it is uncluttered by baroque street furniture, the jargonese or the jangling local patois that so often hinders us intellectual tourists.

But a closer inspection reveals the {crazy} gang's all here: preserved in a literary formaldehyde is a litany of two-headed lambs and bearded ladies, the murderous midgets, the parasitic twins; and the weird and wonderful do not disappoint.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Musicophilia.

06/01/2009 page 19