Book Concierge's Reviews > Bloody Mary

Bloody Mary by J.A. Konrath

liked it
bookshelves: concierge, library, mystery, series, strong-women, audio

Audio book performed by Dick Hill and Susie Breck (who is not credited on the cover)

Second in a series. It starts when Chicago Police Lieutenant Jacqueline “Jack” Daniels gets a report of extra body parts appearing at the Cook County Morgue. When she and her partner go to investigate, they discover two severed arms, linked by handcuffs – Jack’s handcuffs. Soon the police discover what the reader knows already – there’s a maniacally clever serial killer on the loose. And he has special plans for Jack Daniels.

Konrath writes a thrilling tale that moves quickly and keeps the reader turning pages (or changing CDs). I like that Lieutenant Daniels is strong and self-sufficient. I’m not so keen on her wishy-washy attitude towards the men in her life. There are a few unnecessary distractions – what’s with the crazy guy in the restaurant? And I thought the ending was somewhat rushed. But on the whole the work is tightly written and I was happy to go along for the ride.

Dick Hill and Susie Breck do a good job performing the CD. Hill is appropriately gruff or oily, depending on the male he is voicing. Brecht is great as Jack Daniels. Both read with a good pace, keeping the listener interested.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloody Mary.

Started Reading
June 26, 2016 – Shelved as: mystery
June 26, 2016 – Shelved as: series
June 26, 2016 – Shelved as: strong-women
June 26, 2016 – Shelved as: audio

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Christina Dee I've been thinking of getting an audio recording to hear how others picture Jack sounding.

Dosha (Bluestocking7) Beard I'm considering this series. I think I have book 5.