Maureen's Reviews > The Pox Party

The Pox Party by M.T. Anderson

Mar 14, 2009

liked it

I'm a bit mixed about my rating for this book. Part of me wants to give it a four and part of me wants to just leave it as a three. The side arguing for a higher rating tells me that there are so many aspects of racism mentioned here that those living in the post-civil rights era are prone to forget, many of which still exist in some degree. As a note regarding society, both in pre-Revolutionary times and current day society, this novel definitely is a worthy read.

The story-telling basis of this, however, just makes it really difficult for me to give it that probably deserved four. The chapters are short even with the lines are double-spaced, and many of the chapters are hard to understand as part of the larger picture. There is an entire section out of four that was pretty difficult for me to get through, and after a few letters written in older English with lots of random capitalizations, I just skipped the whole thing and moved on to the end.

In the end, the story-devouring monster inside of me won out, thus the three-star rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pox Party.