Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽'s Reviews > Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

bookshelves: favorites, regency, classics, historical-fiction
Read 4 times. Last read August 1, 2017 to August 6, 2017.

Often imitated, never matched. Nobody can do it quite like Jane Austen.
description
True story: I was rummaging through and throwing away lots of my old papers and souvenirs a few weeks ago and happened to run across my 30+ year old notes from a college course where we studied Pride and Prejudice. I can't believe I still had them! Some of those P&P notes were actually pretty insightful, so in this review I've included some of the more interesting observations from my long-ago class. Hope you enjoy! (ETA: Now with bonus texts and memes)

description

From the first tongue-in-cheek words:
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.

However little known the feelings or views of such a man may be on his first entering a neighbourhood, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding families, that he is considered the rightful property of some one or other of their daughters.
Austen brilliantly sets up the world of this novel. Marriage - however humorous the personalities and events may be - is serious business. And when the Bennets have five daughters and no sons, the seriousness of getting their girls married off increases exponentially. The desperation of the marriage hunt is really the desperation of economic survival. Mrs Bennet has that essentially right, however misguided she is in the way she goes about it.

The theme of self-discovery works hand-in-hand with the theme of marriage, and the tension between economic interest and romantic feelings. Both pride and prejudice are obstacles not just to understanding others, but to knowing oneself. Elizabeth learns about herself from several other characters along the way:

Wickham: (view spoiler)
Charlotte: (view spoiler)
Lady Catherine: (view spoiler)

description

Jane Austen shows us so many different types of marriages in P&P: those based mostly on initial physical attraction ((view spoiler)), those based on practical, material considerations; those based on emotional feeling and compatibility ((view spoiler)). And finally, and very gradually, we progress to seeing relationships based on reason and intelligence as well as physical and emotional attraction. The Gardiners are the model here, and the type of marriage Elizabeth wants to have for herself.

description

I adore Elizabeth and Darcy, working through their flaws (there's pride and prejudice aplenty on both sides!), willing to reconsider earlier judgments, tentatively working their way toward each other. And when you combine that with Austen's insight into human foibles and her sharp wit, every page is a pleasure. Sometimes I've been guilty of rushing through P&P, skimming over some chapters to get to the "good parts" faster, but I took my time this time around, reading it slower and more carefully, and was rewarded accordingly.

P&P is my favorite book of Jane Austen's ... and very possibly my favorite book of all time. It's the perfect mix of intelligence, humor and romance.

Bonus! A studious and completely objective discussion of the merits of the leading actors and actresses in the major P&P movies and TV miniseries.

First up: The Elizabeth Bennet actresses.

First, Greer Garson from the 1940 movie:
description
… no, for two big reasons:
1. As one website points out, “Garson's [Elizabeth Bennet] was smirking, empty-headed and flirtatious where Ehle's was smirking, strong and intelligent." Hah!
2. Hoop skirts. Hoop. Skirts. A thousand times no!
(This movie also has a third strike against it, the travesty of its rewriting of Lady Catherine de Bourgh’s personality.)

Second, Elizabeth Garvie in the 1980 BBC miniseries:
description
She’s not well known except among P&P fans, but she actually does a very nice job with Lizzie.

Jennifer Ehle from the 1995 miniseries:
description
She’s great, and she gets extra points for just how well she plays off of Colin Firth, but I have a fundamental problem with Ehle, which is that she just doesn’t match my vision of Lizzie. I just can’t entirely buy her in the part.

Keira Knightley:
description
Very pretty but … too pretty. And man, is she wearing a lot of makeup in some of the scenes.
description

Honorable mention: Aishwarya Rai in Bride and Prejudice (I don’t even care if she’s too gorgeous):
description

So for me, it’s Elizabeth Garvie, but kind of in a default win.

Part II: The Darcys:

We begin with Lawrence Olivier from the 1940 Hollywood movie:
description
... all props to Sir Lawrence, but he's not my vision of Darcy.

David Rintoul from the 1980 BBC version:
description
... who is a pretty good Darcy, actually; it's not his fault that the production values in this P&P version suck. (it's basically like watching a theater play that's been filmed)

On to the wonderful Colin Firth, from the seminal 1995 miniseries:
description
... I can't help it, he makes my heart beat faster even when he's not in a wet shirt.

Matthew Macfadyen in the 2005 movie:
description
Sorry to his fans, but he doesn't cut it for me. He always looks So. Worried!

So clearly for me it's Colin Firth FTW, but feel free to argue with me in the thread. :)

Honorable mentions go to Elliot Cowan in Lost in Austen and Martin Henderson in Bride and Prejudice. (Pics in the thread.)

Quotes Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Liked

Jane Austen
“I have been used to consider poetry as "the food of love" said Darcy.

"Of a fine, stout, healthy love it may. Everything nourishes what is
strong already. But if it be only a slight, thin sort of inclination, I
am convinced that one good sonnet will starve it entirely away.”
Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

October 2, 2013 – Shelved as: favorites
August 1, 2017 – Started Reading
August 1, 2017 – Shelved as: regency
August 1, 2017 –
1.0% ""Mr. Bennet, how can you abuse your own children in such a way? You take delight in vexing me. You have no compassion for my poor nerves."

"You mistake me, my dear. I have a high respect for your nerves. They are my old friends. I have heard you mention them with consideration these last twenty years at least.""
August 1, 2017 –
12.0% "“I wonder who first discovered the efficacy of poetry in driving away love!”

“I have been used to consider poetry as the food of love,” said Darcy.

“Of a fine, stout, healthy love it may. Everything nourishes what is strong already. But if it be only a slight, thin sort of inclination, I am convinced that one good sonnet will starve it entirely away.”"
August 2, 2017 –
16.0% "“He must be an oddity, I think,” said she. “I cannot make him out.—There is something very pompous in his style...—Could he be a sensible man, sir?”

“No, my dear, I think not. I have great hopes of finding him quite the reverse. There is a mixture of servility and self-importance in his letter, which promises well."

--Elizabeth and Mr Bennet, discussing Mr Collins' letter"
August 3, 2017 –
29.0% "“An unhappy alternative is before you, Elizabeth. From this day you must be a stranger to one of your parents. Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins, and I will never see you again if you do.”"
August 3, 2017 – Shelved as: classics
August 3, 2017 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
August 3, 2017 –
43.0% "[Lady Catherine de Bourgh] was a most active magistrate in her own parish, the minutest concerns of which were carried to her by Mr. Collins; and whenever any of the cottagers were disposed to be quarrelsome, discontented, or too poor, she sallied forth into the village to settle their differences, silence their complaints, and scold them into harmony and plenty."
August 4, 2017 –
52.0% "“How despicably I have acted!” she cried; “I, who have prided myself on my discernment! ... Pleased with the preference of one, and offended by the neglect of the other, on the very beginning of our acquaintance, I have courted prepossession and ignorance, and driven reason away, where either were concerned. Till this moment I never knew myself.”"
August 5, 2017 –
60.0% "... by the middle of June, Kitty was so much recovered as to be able to enter Meryton without tears; an event of such happy promise as to make Elizabeth hope that by the following Christmas she might be so tolerably reasonable as not to mention an officer above once a day, unless, by some cruel and malicious arrangement at the War Office, another regiment should be quartered in Meryton."
August 5, 2017 –
75.0% ""No officer is ever to enter into my house again, nor even to pass through the village. Balls will be absolutely prohibited, unless you stand up with one of your sisters. And you are never to stir out of doors till you can prove that you have spent ten minutes of every day in a rational manner.”

Kitty, who took all these threats in a serious light, began to cry."
August 6, 2017 –
82.0% "Mr. Wickham’s adieus were much more affectionate ... He smiled, looked handsome, and said many pretty things.

“He is as fine a fellow,” said Mr. Bennet, as soon as they were out of the house, “as ever I saw. He simpers, and smirks, and makes love to us all. I am prodigiously proud of him. I defy even Sir William Lucas himself to produce a more valuable son-in-law.”"
August 6, 2017 –
95.0% "“Lady Catherine has been of infinite use, which ought to make her happy, for she loves to be of use.""
August 6, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)

QNPoohBear Colin Firth! Also Lost in Austen Darcy was pretty good. I haven't seen the 1980 version in full and Matthew Macfadyen just isn't Darcy material. Olivier can't help the material he was given but Darcy is not supposed to be shy-just reserved and stand-offish.

message 2: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ (last edited Aug 03, 2017 03:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ QNPoohBear wrote: "Colin Firth! Also Lost in Austen Darcy was pretty good. I haven't seen the 1980 version in full and Matthew Macfadyen just isn't Darcy material. Olivier can't help the material he was given but Dar..."

Good point! I still haven't seen Lost in Austen (really need to do that sometime) but I did think about Bride and Prejudice, the Bollywood version. The thing about that one is, the only really memorable part for me was the gorgeous Aishwarya Rai as the Lizzy character. I don't have any particular recollection of Martin Henderson as Darcy. But he was very cute.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Here's your Lost in Austen guy, Elliot Cowan:
description

LOLZ at the wet shirt scene!

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex Ankarr Colin Firth is my era and I remember the production fondly, although when I tried a rewatch I found it much slower than I remembered. The Macfadyen film has a very Brontë-esque vibe, it doesn't feel like an Austen story at all - all the lightness and humor hoovered out of it.

Emma Colin Firth- absolutely no competition!

Misti If I remember correctly, there was NO KISS at the end of the 1980 version. I don't care if its authentic or what have you. If I'm watching it, I want a kiss. :) Colin Firth will always be Mr. Darcy for me. The 2005 movie only gets my vote for the beautiful soundtrack.

Christy Colin Firth!!! ❤️

Gabriela I have a fondness for the 2005 version (warts and all) but I think Colin Firth is the best portrayal (I have to watch the 1940, 1980 and Lost in Austen. The Bride and Prejudice one was the worst part of the film. The Lizzie Bennet guy does a good job.

Beige Palindrome310 wrote: "I have a fondness for the 2005 version (warts and all)..."

Oh the 1995 version! What do you mean warts? What am I missing ? ;)

I think it might be in my top 5 of all movies in my lifetime (even not counting Colin)

Gabriela Beige, I thought it was an expression "warts and all". Sorry for not being clear, I'm not an English native speaker

message 11: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ (last edited Aug 03, 2017 04:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ "Warts and all" is the correct expression, Palindrome. I could name several warts in the 2005 movie: Kiera is too gorgeous for Lizzie, the makeup is too much for the era, I don't particularly care for Macfadyen as Darcy, I didn't think all the livestock running around their home was historically accurate (in any case it was a distraction for me), Mr Bennet's unshaven face and brilliant white teeth ...

description

Critterbee❇ Colin Firth is Mr Darcy to me, he just got it right.

Beige @ Palindrome - Oops stayed up too late reading. I thought you said the 1995 version had warts. Warts and all is a fabulous phrase ;)

Ange H Fun!

Okay since you asked:

This opinion is not based on any research but just my observation: I believe that Laurence Olivier either HATED the movie, or wasn't getting paid enough or something, but to me his portrayal of Darcy was a deliberate parody. I mean we know the man can act! I just loathe that version for lots of reasons, but mostly for what I call its "Sissy Darcy."

I agree with you that about the BBC version. It was a very competent production, but it seemed to suck the sparkle of the story. David Rentoul was possibly the most accurate Darcy, but certainly not the most romantic.

I love every second of the 1995 version. I owned it in VCR and now CD format and always watch it as the high point of my latest Austen Binge. Colin Firth. Sigh. He OWNS Darcy.

Matthew MacFayden. I was surprised at how much I liked him as Darcy. It's like this character alone gave him a one-time hotness he doesn't otherwise possess (kind of like, IMHO, Daniel Day Lewis in Last of the Mohicans.) Anyway, I am not a huge fan of this one. I feel they took WAY too many liberties with the dialogue (JAs dialogue needs NO rewriting!!) and the plot. There were so many excellent actors in it, so I can almost enjoy it if I pretend it's NOT P&P but some other movie that I take on its own merit.

Ange H Forgot to mention that coincidentally before I read your review and sat down to write this, I was just about to watch the most recent BBC version of "Sense and Sensibility" which I just got today from the library; I was in the mood to see it gain because I just finished "Sense and Sensibility" for the umpteenth time. I don't remember who played Edward in this version, but that character just doesn't inspire the kind of "Who played him best?" debate that Darcy does it? (Although now that I think of it, I love Hugh Grant but feel like he was miscast in the Emma Thompson version.)

Bobbie Tadiana, I totally agree. Colin Firth is my Darcy.

Roslyn David Rintoul has always seemed a perfect Mr Darcy to me. Perhaps he errs slightly too much on the stiff side, but he feels closest to the book. Despite its dated production values, that BBC version seems not only the closest to the book, but almost perfectly cast. The one reservation I have is that Mrs Bennett seems a bit too old and frumpy, but otherwise, the cast seems pitch-perfect to me, especially Elizabeth Garvie and David Rintoul.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Roslyn wrote: "David Rintoul has always seemed a perfect Mr Darcy to me. Perhaps he errs slightly too much on the stiff side, but he feels closest to the book. Despite its dated production values, that BBC versio..."

That 1980 BBC version definitely has some good points. It has probably my favorite portrayal of Elizabeth, and I thought the actor who played Mr Collins did a wonderful job.

@Ange: I love both the Emma Thompson and the recent BBC version of S&S. I'm not sure which version I like better! Emma's too old, admittedly (not her fault; the producers insisted that she play Elinor), but she did a great job, and I actually really liked Hugh Grant in that movie role.

Julie Tadiana,
I agree, I agree, I agree!! On my deathbed, when my long wonderful life passes before my eyes, one of those images will be of Colin Firth, hair wet on his neck, white shirt clinging to his chest.

Seema Khan Agree with you Tadiana, Colin Firth is my favourite Darcy as well! And overall, I am not a fan of the Keira Knightly and Matthew Macfadyen version as I feel so many things are missing in it from my reader's version of it!

Elinor Even my mother thought Colin Firth was the best and she has lived through ALL these versions. She referred to the "smouldering" way he looked at Jane. Talk about sparks flying!

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ansbro My favourite Jane Austen novel. Possibly her most famous, but with good reason.

Gabriela Ange H, I think you are refering to the version where Dan Stevens played Edward. I love the Emma Thompson movie, except that Hugh Grant was miscast IMO.

message 24: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ (last edited Aug 04, 2017 09:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Palindrome310 wrote: "Ange H, I think you are refering to the version where Dan Stevens played Edward. I love the Emma Thompson movie, except that Hugh Grant was miscast IMO."

You and Ange both disliked Hugh Grant in S&S, so I'm outvoted (at least so far). But I thought his brand of hesitant acting fit well with the character of Edward Ferrars. (view spoiler)

D'aww!

Ange H Palindrome310 wrote: "Ange H, I think you are refering to the version where Dan Stevens played Edward.
Yes! I was happy to realize that when I started watching...and Captain Wentworth looked SO familiar but I couldn't place him then I realized he was the Governor from The Walking Dead! I don't like the Willoughby in this version.

Ange H Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "You and Ange both disliked Hugh Grant..." I love him! I felt that he was just too boyishly handsome to be paired with Emma Thompson (as you point out, she was too old for the role in the first place) so it didn't work for me.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Ange H wrote: "Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "You and Ange both disliked Hugh Grant..." I love him! I felt that he was just too boyishly handsome to be paired with Emma Thompson (as you point out, she was too old for the role..."

I just did some age-checking: Emma Thompson is 2 1/2 years older than Hugh Grant -- which is not unreasonable, but as you point out, he is very boyish-looking. For the movie I think Emma was supposed to be in her late 20's (she was 35 at the time), even though in the original S&S Elinor is only like 19.

It's even more interesting to think that she ended up marrying Greg Wise, who played Willoughby -- and he's 8 years younger than Emma. They've been together over 20 years now.

Critterbee❇ I remember watching S&S with my boyfriend of the time, and he was really confused because he thought that Elinor was Marianne and Margaret's Mother.

Violet wells Colin Firth every day of the week.

QNPoohBear I saw THE SHIRT in Washington, DC at the Folger Shakespeare Library in an amazing exhibit on the enduring legacy of Jane Austen and William Shakespeare. The curators were a hoot. They said people liked to take "shirties" (shirt + selfie) with the shirt. Men liked to stand behind it and pretend to be Darcy. Emma Thompson also contributed her screenplay for S&S with her own handwritten notes.

As for S&S who was better-Hugh Grant's bumbling Edward was more true to the character and Dan Stevens was TOO pretty to be a clergyman. There's no way he'd stay single for long. Move over Lucy Steele. Andrew Davies put him in a wet shirt too but somehow it didn't catch on like P&P. Dan Stevens had to wait to gain a following until he appeared in Downton Abbey.

Ange H Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: ".t's even more interesting to think that she ended up marrying Greg Wise, who played Willoughby -- and he's 8 years younger than Emma. They've been together over 20 years now. .."

Emma Thompson, reading my earlier comment: "So, Hugh Grant was too young and cute for me? Bite me, I married the even younger and cuter guy!"

Thank you Tatiana for that interesting bit of trivia, I did not know that! (And apologies for detouring your P&P thread into a discussion of Emma Thompson's love life:)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ No problem! Some of the best discussions on GR are when people go off on tangents. ;)

Gabriela About Elizabeth looks, I actually think Knightley is consider pretty by our standarda but not for those of that period. Also, I haven't re-read P&P lately (the horror!) but I don't remember Elizabeth being described as plain, so we could let her be smart and beautiful ;) Rai is gorgeous

Jennifer I really like the 80s P&P with Elizabeth Garvie. Could be because I saw it before the A&E one came out and imprinted on it, but she captures the kind of lighthearted vivacity that I see in the book. Jennifer Ehle is altogether more reserved and stately.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Jennifer wrote: "I really like the 80s P&P with Elizabeth Garvie. Could be because I saw it before the A&E one came out and imprinted on it, but she captures the kind of lighthearted vivacity that I see in the book..."

I need to watch both of the old miniseries again! I don't remember Garvie's performance all that well; it's been too long since I saw it. But the urge has definitely struck since I finished rereading P&P.

message 36: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ (last edited Aug 08, 2017 09:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Palindrome310 wrote: "About Elizabeth looks, I actually think Knightley is consider pretty by our standards but not for those of that period. Also, I haven't re-read P&P lately (the horror!) but I don't remember Elizabe..."

Hmm, interesting point about Knightley's looks. We don't know a whole lot about Elizabeth's appearance from the book itself, except that (1) at one point, Darcy describes her dismissively as "not handsome enough to tempt me" (which comment arguably shouldn't be taken at face value; he wasn't in the best of moods at the time) (2) he soon after falls for her "fine eyes" and lively, intelligent expression, and (3) Caroline Bingley describes Elizabeth as having a thin face. That's pretty much it. Oh, and she has a fairly slim shape; that's noticed by Darcy at one point too.

Ange H Jennifer wrote: "I really like the 80s P&P with Elizabeth Garvie. Could be because I saw it before the A&E one came out and imprinted on it, but she captures the kind of lighthearted vivacity that I see in the book..." Great, term, "imprinted." That's me with the '95 version. I would like to rewatch the 80's version again, too to give it another chance. I have a strong memory of being repulsed by some of clothes they had the poor women traipsing around in - just godawful IMHO. (I wonder if they were more true to the period, but wow - ugly.)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ One thing I remember clearly about that 1980 P&P version is just how good I thought the Mr Collins actor was. So smarmy!!

description

Critterbee❇ Judging from that photo, he seems to be the perfect Mr Collins!! Hahaha!

Gabriela Tadiana, have you heard the news that ITV is adapting P&P as a "darker" and "less bonnet-y" version. Not sure how I feel about this, the last ITV adaptations aren't great. S&S has some good acting but the script is a mess, same with MP and Persuasion. NA is the strongest of that group.

Tom Hollander (2005) is my fav Mr. Collins because he understood that Mr. Collins takes himself seriously but ends up ridiculous but not in a stand-up comedy way.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ I had not heard! I actually really loved ITV's 2008 version of S&S--but at the time I watched it, it had been many years since I'd read S&S, so maybe I was more forgiving of the script than I might be now.

I don't particularly remember Tom Hollander's take on Mr Collins. I may have to go watch some clips to refresh my recollection. :)

message 42: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Elizabeth Garvie is my all time favorite Lizzie too.

QNPoohBear Jennifer Ehle is the best Lizzie I have seen. She's sparkling, witty and loving towards Jane, just as she should be. A mite old though. The one thing wrong with Jennifer Ehle is that she's a natural blond. Maybe they could have made Lizzie's hair a little lighter and more natural looking. That's a minor quibble.

A a "darker" and "less bonnet-y" version? What the heck? How? The book is supposed to be rather "light and bright and sparkling." Happily ever after and all that. What dark side of Jane Austen? Have they been listening to that person who goes on about "shadow stories"? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/...

I'm all in for Season 4 of Poldark though! There's one adaptation that has so far stayed true to the novels. I hope it continues to stay that way.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ QNPoohBear wrote: "Jennifer Ehle is the best Lizzie I have seen. She's sparkling, witty and loving towards Jane, just as she should be. A mite old though. The one thing wrong with Jennifer Ehle is that she's a natura..."

I've been trying for years to figure out exactly what bugs me about Ehle's look in P&P. The unflattering hairdo is part of it, and I think you've got a point about the unnatural darkness of her hair as well. Huh. And the lipstick looks unnatural and makes her lips look smaller and pursed, which is weird because she looks good in her normal (non-Lizzy) photos. Shallow, I know. :)

QNPoohBear Not shallow. Appearance is everything in movies. Look at the muddy hem version-all that mud, pigs, Keira's teeth = all visual turn offs.

Ange H Palindrome310 wrote: "Tadiana, have you heard the news that ITV is adapting P&P as a "darker" and "less bonnet-y" version. ..." Is this really necessary?! There is already "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" which couldn't be more dark or bonnetless. (I hated it. Despite my love of both Jane Austen and zombies, I guess I don't love them as a mashup.)

Bookworman Yes! Yes! Yes! Great review of the book and totally agree with your ratings of the different Elizabeths and Darcys, include the honorable mention of "Bride and Prejudice" which I also enjoyed watching. This also is my favorite book of all time. It is the gold standard.

Rebekah Agree and Disagree. I loved both Garvie and Ehle as Elizabeth. Loved both Firth and Macfayden as Darcy. Pretty much equally. The one Darcy that really bothers me is Rintoul. To me, he is a major problem in an other wise superb version. He is as stiff and expressionless as a board. And that would have been absolutely fine, had he unbent at the end. Had he finally softened and shown some emotion, the contrast would have even been thrilling, and maybe pushed the version to be equal to the Ehle-Firth production. But nope. So frustrating.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Hmm, you may be right about Rintoul. It’s been a lot of years since I watched that particular version of P&P. I do remember being especially impressed by the Mr. Collins in that version, but the ending is mostly forgettable compared to others.

Licha Loved your review and your rating of actors portraying Lizzie and Darcy.

I agree with you on most of the actors. Maybe because my first movie experience of P&P was the Knightley/MacFayden version, I actually like those two. But I will say that MacFayden does have a constant worried look. Lol.

And I love Bride and Prejudice. That's one of the cutest adaptations of P&P.

« previous 1