Clint's Reviews > Melmoth the Wanderer

Melmoth the Wanderer by Charles Robert Maturin

This book is already pretty long, but I think it should have been twice it's length. A very slow-moving, atmospheric, very well-written story containing stories containing stories. The organization is a little slipshod, and I get the feeling that the author just stopped the story and finished it before he had orginally wanted to, but that doesn't really detract from the MAJESTY of this work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Melmoth the Wanderer.

Finished Reading
August 22, 2007 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Nate Dorward Yes, Maturin was denied an extra volume by the publisher so he just cut the narrative threads at the last minute to bring everything to an abrupt halt.

Clint I didn't know that, but kind of guessed it, thanks for that information. What a fucking shame! Given the choice, I'd choose to read a complete Melmoth the Wanderer over a complete The Brothers Karamazov. It's just that good.

message 3: by Lynne (last edited Oct 22, 2013 04:17AM) (new) - added it

Lynne King Clint, I now have this book and I'm looking forward to reading it.

I was intrigued by your comment that "the organization is a little slipsod". What do you mean by that exactly as I see that you still think it's a marvellous book.

Clint Man, I hope you enjoy the book, it's unbelievable. What I meant by the organization, it's like he meant to have the book in these four or five big sections, but only finished about two of them, and then hurried through everything else to the end. It's been awhile since I read it, so I can't remember exactly what he seemed to skip, but when you read it you'll see.

message 5: by Lynne (new) - added it

Lynne King Thanks for that Clint. I appreciated it.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review Clint! Majesty is a very fitting term to convey the grandeur of this epic novel.

Daniel Peña I rather enjoyed the description of corruption of religion. The mobile idol Titan with the proselytes whipping themselves into a frenzy was epic in a way. I imagined Ravel's Bolero playing in my mind during this scene.