Carolina's Reviews > The First Queen of England: The Myth of "Bloody Mary"

The First Queen of England by Linda Porter

There have been perennial books popping up every now and then about Henry VIII and his six wives and his larger than life daughter, Elizabeth I. Although there have been several other biographies done in the past of Mary I that give a new perspective to this much maligned figure, I think no one has done what Porter has done -and this is work harder to dispel the rumors and the reputation she has gained over time as "Bloody" Mary.
Granted her treatment could have used more details as H.F.M. Prescott in the "Spanish Tudor" and "Mary Tudor" and (more recently) Whitelock (with "Mary Tudor") did. Nonetheless what she did is question the testimonies written about her at the time and put on the evidence of what her reign did that later Elizabeth continued but improved.
However my only nitpick is that though she was very thorough where the subject of her reign was concerned, she tended to excused her a lot which I found very troublesome at times. Nonetheless, it is a biography I recommend, that is greatly researched and a good eye-opener to this Queen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Queen of England.

Started Reading