Monique's Reviews > I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell

I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max

Mar 13, 2009

liked it

A big WOW for shameless debauchery from a raging egomaniac. It’s like bungee-jumping into the middle of the mosh pit at a fraternity grain party. I’m one of those girls who liked parts of the Tucker book. Well, actually this is sort of a mixed review. The first story I read was the Tucker tries b*tt sex one. I nearly peed myself it was so funny. For shock value and out of control laughs, you could stop after that story and be satisfied. (It turns out I should have stopped).

The next story I read was pretty funny. The next brought a few chuckles, and by the fourth I was bored. Vomit and poopy pants is only outrageous once; not every story. It seems pretty obvious that he decided early on to "never let the truth get in the way of a good story."

At that point I switched gears and realized the true entertainment value; laughing at Tucker's misplaced ego, lame debacles and feeble attempts at writing. And since they're all embellished versions of the same story, you get to guess the timing and outcome of the events and feel proud of your highly tuned prophetic skills. This gem of a discovery had me howling anew.

Honestly, some of these stories my 17 yr. old brother would consider too pathetic to repeat. Tucker et al flake out, embarrass themselves, explode body fluids, and the outcome is lame. You would think they would be told in a self-deprecating manner.

By contrast, Tucker brags about them like conquests from a billionaire gladiator. I've never known someone so egotistical they don't even realize it when they were made to look the fool.

I've met some successful adrenaline junkies in my short life whose stories ARE mind-blowing; I've been involved in some of their debacles and am astonished at what they get away with. Tucker's stories for the most part would make an embarrassing footnote of losers seen fumbling around in the background.

Don’t get me wrong, if you're a freshman and led a sheltered life...if you like comedy and can overcome the short-bus, Darwin candidate frat-i-tude, some of these stories will have you rolling.

If you've matured beyond Spring Break and prefer well-written tales, there's better options for drunken philandering memoirs. Hunter Thompson paved the way with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Also make sure you get Brett Tate's hilarious photo-documentary about insane wealthy gangsters living the dream;

High Heels and Dirty Deals - Globetrotting Tales of Debauchery from a Binge-drinking Nymphomaniac

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell.

Finished Reading
March 13, 2009 – Shelved

message 1: by Edgar (last edited Apr 18, 2009 10:28AM) (new)

Edgar You nailed it. All hype, weak content, and poorly delivered.