Dina's Reviews > Tempt Me at Twilight

Tempt Me at Twilight by Lisa Kleypas

1918270
Mar 13, 2009

bookshelves: historical-romance, dik, to-blog

What can I say? I just love Lisa Kleypas's writing and, as far as I know, she can do no wrong. Okay, I haven't read all her backlist yet, but almost everything I've read so far was excellent. The only exception was Mine Till Midnight, but even so it was good enough and definitely worth reading.

Poppy Hathaway is in London for her third season and, as it has become usual, she's staying with her family at the Rutledge Hotel. As the story opens, she's chasing her sister Beatrix's ferret, trying to recover a love letter the mischievous animal has stolen from her. The last thing Poppy needs is to have the love letter she's received from her secret beau, the Hon. Michael Bayning, falling in anyone else's hands and becoming public, so she has no qualms leaving her private room unescorted and following the darn ferret through the hotel. On her merry chase, she ends up meeting the reclusive and mysterious Harry Rutledge, the hotel owner, and the course of her entire life is changed.

Harry is a very successful self-made man who always gets what he wants, no matter what. And the moment he meets Poppy, he decides he wants her. So he sets out to get her. Thanks to some luck and some ruthless machinations of his part, he doesn't waste any time taking her secret beau out of the picture and planting himself firmly on his place. Poppy is hurt in the process, but that was bound to happen eventually even without his interference, so Harry is convinced it's all for the best.

In a short time, Harry gets what he wants - that is, Poppy - and they get married against her family's objections. At this point, Harry's part in ruining Poppy's relationship with Michael is known to all the Hathaways - Poppy included - so they neither like or trust him. But Poppy goes along with marrying him anyway, basically choosing the lesser of two evils. Harry's determined to win his wife's affection - not her love, because he doesn't know what that is - while Poppy's decided to keep her distance. Well, we all know how this ends, because there's no resisting a Kleypas hero. ;)

The Hathaways are an "eccentric" family, to say the least, and Poppy has always been the "odd one out" to me because she doesn't embrace her family's quirkiness and craves a "normal" and sedate life. That doesn't mean she's estranged from them or that she's ashamed of them, but she dreams of a different life for herself. That's why I fully understood her infatuation with Michael, the son of a viscount and the epitome of everything proper and traditional. And that's why I cut her some slack for taking so long to let him go from her heart and accept Harry.

Notice that I used the word "accept" and not "forgive", because I really don't think there was anything to be forgiven there. Harry didn't lie, although he didn't always reveal everything he knew, and he didn't force Poppy to kiss him to compromise her. On the contrary, she was fully enjoying his kisses even though she thought she was in love with another man! Okay, Harry was ruthless and manipulative (but not cruel), went after what he wanted with determination and took advantage of the situation, but he didn't make anything up. He only accelerated the process, so to speak, because that weakling Michael would never be brave enough to go against his father. Poppy deserved someone who loved her above everything else, and that man was Harry. I simply adored Harry! He's way up there in the altar of my favorite heroes, along with Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent (Devil in Winter) and Derek Craven (Dreaming of You). Not by coincidence, all 3 of them are perfect examples of how good a "bad boy" can be when he finds the right woman... Hmmm, do I see a pattern in my "obsession"? ;)

As in all the previous books in the Hathaways series, there were a lot of scenes that weren't solely focused on the H/h's interactions. That bothered me when I read the 1st book, Mine Till Midnight, but now I think they're part of this series' charm and those "secondary scenes" add depth to the story. In this particular book, I got to know and understand Harry much better by learning how his employees saw him and that was a plus. I also got to know something very interesting about Ms. Marks, Poppy and Beatrix's former governess and current companion and chaperone, and I can't wait to see her bring Leo to heel.

And last but not least, the now (in)famous cliffhanger... I loved it! I know a lot of readers were annoyed by it, but I thought it was delicious. I'm not ashamed to say, I closed the book with a sigh and a a smile.

Great story, to-die-for hero, lovable heroine, witty dialogue, steamy love scenes, funny and charming secondary characters... This was an excellent read.

And just because I love quotes, I'm going to finish my review with one of my favorite passages in the book:

"I want you any way I can get you. Not because you’re beautiful or clever or kind or adorable, although the devil knows you’re all those things. I want you because there’s no one else like you, and I don’t ever want to start a day without seeing you."

As Poppy opened her mouth to reply, he smoothed his thumb across her lower lip, coaxing her to wait until he had finished. "Do you know what a balance wheel is?"

She shook her head slightly.

"There’s one in every clock or watch. It rotates back and forth without stopping. It’s what makes the ticking sound... what makes the hands move forward to mark the minutes. Without it, the watch wouldn’t work. You’re my balance wheel, Poppy."

Call me crazy, but I thought that was one of the most romantic declarations of love I've read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempt Me at Twilight.

Quotes Dina Liked

Lisa Kleypas
“But Harry . . . even if we had met and married three years ago, you’d still say it wasn’t enough time.”

“You’re right. I can’t think of a single day of my life that wouldn’t have been improved with you in it.”

“Darling,” she whispered, her fingertips coming up to stroke his jaw, “that’s lovely. Even more romantic than comparing me to watch parts.”

Harry nipped at her finger. “Are you mocking me?”

“Not at all,” Poppy said, smiling. “I know how you feel about gears and mechanisms.”

Lisa Kleypas
“I want you any way I can get you. Not because you’re beautiful or clever or kind or adorable, although devil knows you’re all those things. I want you because there’s no one else like you, and I don’t ever want to start a day without seeing you.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Do you know what a balance wheel is?” She shook her head slightly. “There’s one in every clock or watch. It rotates back and forth without stopping. It’s what makes the ticking sound...what makes the hands move forward to mark the minutes. Without it, the watch wouldn’t work. You’re my balance wheel, Poppy.” -Harry Rutledge”

March 13, 2009 – Shelved
March 13, 2009 – Shelved as: historical-romance
January 1, 2010 –
page 1
0.27% "I've been warned about the cliffhanger in this book so I was going to wait until the release of the next book, but I'm not that strong."
Started Reading
page 86
23.06% "Oooh, the plot thickens... What's the connection between Harry and Ms. Marks?"
page 198
53.08% "Loving it, but Harry and Poppy need to spend more time together so she can fall in love with him."
page 373
100.0% "Loved it, even the cliffhanger! Review to come tomorrow..."
January 2, 2010 – Finished Reading
January 7, 2011 – Shelved as: dik
March 19, 2011 – Shelved as: to-blog

Beanbag Love I'm glad you liked this! Looking forward to your full review. :D

Karen Glad you liked this one. Harry and Poppy were good together...I can't wait for the next book!

Dina Review is up, and it's a long one. Sorry, but I get out of control when I love a book, LOL.

Auntee Fantastic review Dina--you sold me! Now here comes a stupid question--could this be read as a stand alone, or will I have to seek out the other two?;)

Auntee Oops! No seeking out the others for me--they're in my closet!:D

Dina Thanks, Auntee! Well, you know me and my OCD about reading series in order, LOL. I want to say that you have to read the previous books, but you really don't. K. Odoharty didn't read the 1st 2 books and really liked this one, so you can jump right into it too. You might enjoy the Hathaways' dynamics better if you start the series from the beginning, but it isn't a must.

Gah, now I'm going to beat myself up for saying that, LOL. Down, OCD!

Beanbag Love Great review, Dina! I agree with everything.

@Auntee: Dina's right, you can read this alone, but I'm glad you have the other two so you don't have to. Even though they're not as strong as this one (IMO), they are very good and the family's development is very fun to watch.

Dina Thanks, Beanbag! I'm a sucker for a bad boy who, deep down, just wants to be loved. ;)

Rane Wonderful Review Dina! Harry is so far my fave hero of the series, I loved him to bits!

message 10: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina Thanks, Rane! I have a feeling Leo is going to surpass Harry as my favorite hero in the series. And to think that I hated him in Mine Till Midnight... Kleypas is a master at redeeming a "villain". :)

message 11: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Great review, Dina!! I can't wait to read this one! I love Lisa Kleypas too, she is just one of the best!

message 12: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina Thanks, Angelc! I hope you enjoy it. :)

message 13: by Mae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mae One of my favorite books of 2009!

message 14: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina Hms wrote: "One of my favorite books of 2009!"

Well, it's definitely my favorite read in 2010 so far, but there isn't really any competition because the other one was a 1-star read, LOL.

Ally72 This was fabulous review, Dina! Lisa Kleypas never disappoints me...I am excited to start reading the Hathaways...I am waiting a little because I know this ends on a cliffhanger...Although, maybe it isn't so bad after reading your review. Happy Reading!!!
Ally

message 16: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina Thanks, Ally! The series had a slow start to me, but I'm loving it now. I loved the cliffhanger, but many readers didn't so you might take that into consideration. The next 2 books are scheduled to be released this summer - U.S. summer, not my summer, which is... right now, LOL - and you can time your reading based on that. Enjoy! :)

Ally72 Thanks Dina...I am happy because it seems like LK only releases one historical a year now...I wish she would write faster! LOL!

message 18: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Wonderful review Dina - I will get to LK's historicals someday.

message 19: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina Thanks, Melissa! I know you're not a fan of the Regency period, but LK's book are gooood! Her heroes aren't fops who spend their lives twiddling their thumbs, so I think you'd like them.

message 20: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB So far I have read Devil in Winter and Suddenly You. I really liked both of them but surprisingly her contemporaries were the ones that really blew me away, all three were simply amazing books that stayed with me.

I will get to them! But I also have 300 TBR books to read (New Year's Resolution time!).

message 21: by K. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K. YAY! You liked this one D.! I feel the same as you about Kleypas writing (I guess we've known this since our first postings to each other now that I think about it! ;D) Even though I didn't read the first two books before this one . . . I'm thinking I'll like "Mine Til Midnight" probably more because I'm already familiar with the family. I tend to do that on a not as good/well reviewed book in a series, once I've been sucked in by one of the better books. I think it's a pretty good strategy for me in the long run.

Thanks again for the great review D.!

message 22: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina K. wrote: "I'm thinking I'll like "Mine Til Midnight" probably more because I'm already familiar with the family."

That's something I've been thinking too. I'll probably enjoy Mine Till Midnight better if I reread it. I just need to squeeze it in between my "regular" reading. :)

Ridley I must be the only person who loved Mine 'Til Midnight. Not only have I been in love with Cam forever, but I actually like Amelia a lot.

message 24: by K. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K. Ridley: Don't despair because of all the less than stellar reviews! ;) I haven't read it yet, but it's on my TBR and I love Kleypas . . . so with loving TMAT, I see myself being much more primed to enjoy MTM than the first time reader! ;)

message 25: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina Ridley wrote: "Also, not to nit-pick, but these are Victorians, not Regencies. I think Victorians are a bit more fun."

Thanks for the clarification, Ridley. I admit I don't pay much attention to the historical differences between Regencies and Victorians. I like them both. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Ridley you are not the only person to love MTM. I loved it too!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Dina I will read your review after I read the book. I'm trying to go into the book with no expectations. :)

message 28: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina Danielle, I totally understand. I used to be like you and avoid reviews before reading a book, but I've gotten burned by not having any idea what I was getting myself into too many times and now I rarely pick a book up without doing some basic research about it. Expectations can be tricky, but I feel "safer" this way. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I don't avoid all reviews, but I'm really excited about this one, so I'm trying to be good. I like to read reviews on books I'm undecided or worried about, probably along the lines as you do.

message 30: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina Gotcha! :) Come to think of it, there are some authors/books that I still buy "in the dark", so to speak. My list of "auto-buy" authors is very small, but I'm faithful to it. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I have an autobuy list, but I think mine is probably bigger, because I have no self-control when it comes to books. LOL.

message 32: by K. (last edited Jan 06, 2010 09:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

K. Dina and Danielle: I think my auto-buy author list is still pretty "stable," (i.e. small), but I do get excited about certain authors. I actually buy most all of Kleypas' books (a few always still on my TBR), and so she's definitely still on auto-buy. Although I'm not actually reading her immediately, it's comforting to know I have her books on hand (is that weird?). Same with Elizabeth Hoyt. I'll take a long time to getting around to reading them while I'm investigating other authors (new, etc.), but I have no doubt I'll want to read them. Is this a strange approach to my book buying? Hope not! LOL!
K.

Karen Great review, Dina. LK is probably my favorite historical author (although I love her contemporaries too).

message 34: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina K. wrote: "Dina and Danielle: I think my auto-buy author list is still pretty "stable," (i.e. small), but I do get excited about certain authors. I actually buy most all of Kleypas' books (a few always stil..."

K., I have the same approach, so I don't think it's strange. As for Kleypas, as much as I love her work, she isn't on my auto-buy list. I'm wary of her oldies and I've yet to try her contemporaries.

message 35: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina Karen wrote: "Great review, Dina. LK is probably my favorite historical author (although I love her contemporaries too). "

Thanks, Karen! :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) K. wrote: "Dina and Danielle: I think my auto-buy author list is still pretty "stable," (i.e. small), but I do get excited about certain authors. I actually buy most all of Kleypas' books (a few always stil..."

Not at all, K. I buy my favorite authors and series continually, even though I don't always read them right away. You'll notice that I usually read books that are months to years old.

Ally72 I do the same thing K. and Danielle! For instance, I couldn't wait for "Tempt Me At Twilight" to come out (I bought it right away), but I am waiting to read it now. I am glad I am not the only one who does those kinds of things!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Ally, same here. I signed up for a paranormal challenge for January, so that's keeping me busy.

joy in wonderland Nice review! Not to mention the end quote you shared seal the deal haha I end up saying "wow" and definitely plan to read it!? I too like St. Vincent and Craven character as hero (sigh) *dreamy*

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) What a fantastic review, Dina. I didn't read it before, because I hadn't read the book. But, now that I have, you're spot on, girl!

message 41: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina Thanks, Joy and Danielle!

Joy, I hope you enjoy it too. Are you OCD about reading series in order? If so, you'll want to backtrack and read the previous books. It won't be a chore, of course. :)

Danielle, I know you fell for Harry as hard as I did. We can't resist stalkerific heroes. *sighs*

Fani *loves angst* Dina, it's one of those rare cases where I absolutely agree with you that Harry is one of my favorite heroes ever! I just seem to adore Kleypas' bad boys:)

message 43: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina Kleypas' bad boys are the best!

Fani *loves angst* She has a unique way with them, I agree. God, I'm having a huge Harry crash now! He's amazing.

message 45: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn oh man, I see the resemblance to Seabastian too. Dreaming of You, just made it to the top of my must read list after reading your review

message 46: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina Dawn, I hope you enjoy Dreaming of You and love Derek as much as I do. ;)

Adrienne Marie Harry is a bad boy? I just started reading this. I didnt like the first 2 books of this series at all..

message 48: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina Adrienne, the series really picks up in this book and I hope you love Harry as much as I did do. ;)

Adrienne Marie i think my favorite of the series was Love in the Afternoon

Brittany B. I didnt like Mine till Midnight either! I felt like the only person on earth! Lol.
And I do love LK!