kensou09's Reviews > The Lovely Bones

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Aug 21, 2007

did not like it

Alice Sebold's haunting and heartbreaking debut novel, The Lovely Bones, unfolds from heaven, where "life is a perpetual yesterday" and where Susie, a girl raped and murdered at the age of 14, narrates and keeps watch over her grieving family and friends, as well as her brazen killer and the sad detective working on her case, struggling to accept her death while as well as clinging to the lost world of the living.
The book started out strong, but it fizzled completely in the middle. Sebold kept giving hints of a great story, but fell short with endless, boring, inconsequential details and a lack of detail when it really mattered. Call me unimaginative, but I don't like when a writer leaves important details to the readers imagination. Spell it out for me.
Being an avid mystery/horror story lover, and reading my fair share of books regarding the "great beyond", I didn't get the feeling she had enough knowledge to adequately write about such topics. Her clues and climaxes went nowhere and it left me with more questions than answers. She would draw me in with these little details I thought she's expand on, and never did.
If you're not a very sentimental person, don't buy this book. If you're the type of person that likes closure at the end of the story, don't read this book. If you're looking for a wonderful view of heaven and the "great beyond", don't read the book.
Anyway, it's just my advice. Opinion depends upon each reader's point of view.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lovely Bones.

09/18/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Madison (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Madison Ken,

I could not agree more with your review. I too need and want things spelled out for me!

Thank you for pretty much summing up my entire review of the book with your own!

-Madison