Lucia's Reviews > Painted Faces

Painted Faces by L.H. Cosway

bookshelves: bookshelves-owned, 5-stars-read
Read 3 times. Last read January 11, 2013 to January 12, 2013.

Amazing! Brilliant! Perfection! I loved this book, one of the most unique stories ever written. Do not make any excuses, just go and read it!

My Freda and Nicholas:

"I'll have to admit that somewhere in the back of my mind I wanted to be special to him, different from all of the other women who've turned his head. Isn't that what every girl wants? To be loved by someone uniquely, to make a man feel something he hasn't yet felt for anyone else."

"He would wear her dresses and jewellery and spend hours putting her make-up on his face. In time his habbit would evolve into a need to entertain; a dessire to express his fascination with female form by impersonating it. But for now, it was all about her. The woman who brought him into the world and died before he had the chance to get to know her."

Freda is 25 years old cupcake baker who lives with her best friend Nora in apartment in Dublin. One day she meets heir new charismatic ans sexy neighbour, womenizer Nicholas. But after couple of their encounters and finding out what he does for a living, Freda is not sure about Nicholas's orientation. Is he gay? Or does his sexual insinuations mean that he is a straight? But as it seems, being a drag queen, did not influenced Nicholas's fondness for female population at all...

I'm very open-minded person but my life can be pretty traditional sometimes. So I have to admit that this book enthralled me, took me to places I would normally did not go and showed me different perspective of our world. And I seriously LOVED it!

Being in Freda's head and see things to develop from her perspective was amazing. Her inner monologues, snarky remarks and basicly everything about her was great. I really liked her honesty and her thinking made me feel connected to her from the very beginning. She was excellent and totally lovable character. Since whole story is written with Freda being narrator (only prologue and epilogue are from Nicholas's POV), the style of writing reminded me my best friend telling me stories. It was descriptive, funny, sarcastic and full of emotions. I really LOVED it!

And Nicholas? His life story brought more thoughtfulness to this otherwise interesting, funny and sexy story. All the good or bad things he had to go through formed him and created one truly amazing person. Together with Freda they have become my new favourite bookish couple and I know for sure that I will be coming back to this story just to be with them again.

Moreover, I really liked the way author included in this book information about Ireland, Irish people, their culture and traditions. Ireland has a very special place in my heart and I enjoyed this side of novel immensely. Overall, I wanted to highlight the whole book, it was that awesome. Just pure literal perfection. Definitely one of the best books I have ever read! This story is unforgettable. It is so special that it stays with you forever.

MORE REVIEWS ON MY BLOG Reading Is My Breathing

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Painted Faces.

Finished Reading
Finished Reading
December 31, 2012 – Shelved
January 11, 2013 – Started Reading
January 11, 2013 –
5.0% ""I might not have a boyfriend, but I have cupcakes, and those tasty bastards haven't let me down yet."\n \n Freda, you are awesome character, I love you already :)"
January 12, 2013 –
46.0% ""The female need fot true love is a fivkle bitch. It forsec itself into your life and shapes your actions, always driving you to find that one guy who'll love you unconditionally."\n \n This books is perfect!"
January 12, 2013 – Finished Reading
September 7, 2013 –
0.0% "I think it is time to re-read this awesome story :)"
November 18, 2013 – Shelved as: bookshelves-owned
February 16, 2014 –
0.0% "I miss Fred and Viv! Re-read time :)"
June 12, 2014 – Shelved as: 5-stars-read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)

Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥ I hope you'll like it!!!

Lucia Georgia wrote: "I hope you'll like it!!!"

I hope so too :) I am very excited to read it!

Nina Yay, you started! :)

Lucia Nina wrote: "Yay, you started! :)"

Yes, starting right now :) how far are you in? still so good?

message 5: by Nina (last edited Jan 11, 2013 04:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nina 33% and YES!!! I really really hope it stays that way! It's been so long since a book blew me off my feet. I love Fred and Nicholas.
Did you read Sarra Manning's adult novels? It reminds me a bit of them.

Lucia Nina wrote: "33% and YES!!! I really really hope it stays that way! It's been so long since a book blew me off my feet. I love Fred and Nicholas.
Did you read Sarra Mannings adult novels? It reminds me a bit of..."

To be honest I have never heard of Sarra Mannings... But I need something unique and different right now, I have read too many new adult novels recently LOL so i hope this will be it!

Nina Lucia wrote: "Nina wrote: "33% and YES!!! I really really hope it stays that way! It's been so long since a book blew me off my feet. I love Fred and Nicholas.
Did you read Sarra Manning's adult novels? It remind..."

I think you got unique covered with Painted Faces ;)

Still, you should try Sarra Manning sometime.Especially Unsticky by Sarra Manning, it's one of my favorite contemporary books!

Lucia Thanks for rec Nina, blurb sounds really interesting!

Nina It is! I was afraid it was going to be another Fifty Shades when I first read the blurb but it's very different!

Lucia Nina wrote: "It is! I was afraid it was going to be another Fifty Shades when I first read the blurb but it's very different!"

I just cannot find it for kindle :( will have to wish for it as my birthday present in paperback than :)

message 11: by Nina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nina You could try awesomebooks.com! I just ordered a paperback for a friend for 2EUR!

Lucia Nina wrote: "You could try awesomebooks.com! I just ordered a paperback for a friend for 2EUR!"

I will check it out. Thanks!

message 13: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Levine Lovely review, Lucia! :)

Lucia Jenny wrote: "Lovely review, Lucia! :)"

Debra Great review, Lucia! I think this will be one of my next reads... :)

Lucia Debra wrote: "Great review, Lucia! I think this will be one of my next reads... :)"

Thanks Debra! And yes, read it as soon as possible. It was awesome, I still have to think about characters!

Alexis *Reality Bites* Great review, Lucia! I enjoyed being in Freda's head too! She was a firecracker always saying whats on her mind. Loved it!

Lucia Alexis ~*Your official Book PIMP*~ wrote: "Great review, Lucia! I enjoyed being in Freda's head too! She was a firecracker always saying whats on her mind. Loved it!"

Thank you Alexis :) And yeah, Freda was great, my new favourite heroine!

Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥ Great review Lucia!!! And really great book... Top 5 favourites of 2012!!

Duchess Nicole LOVE your Freda picture!! And your review...so glad you liked it, Lucia! I was a bit worried whether it would go over well or not, but it seems to be well received!

Lucia Georgia wrote: "Great review Lucia!!! And really great book... Top 5 favourites of 2012!!"

Thanks Georgia! This book is in my top favourite of all time:)

Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥ Yeap, mine probably too.... ;)

Lucia Duchess Nicole wrote: "LOVE your Freda picture!! And your review...so glad you liked it, Lucia! I was a bit worried whether it would go over well or not, but it seems to be well received!"

Thank you so much Nicole! I was expecting something truly shocking according to some reviews but it was awesome and unique and just something different. I loved it so much!

Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥ Oh definitely read it Soraya.... And trust me, I have no selfish reasons to suggest it... The hero is black haired with blue eyes, so no, I'm not suggesting it for all the Matt Bomer gifs you'll post. No!!!!

Lucia Soraya wrote: "I'm bumping this one up! So many great reviews one this book ;-)!"

You definitely should Soraya! This books is really perfect!

Duchess Nicole Lucia wrote: "Duchess Nicole wrote: "LOVE your Freda picture!! And your review...so glad you liked it, Lucia! I was a bit worried whether it would go over well or not, but it seems to be well received!"

Thank..."

Lucia Duchess Nicole wrote: "Yep, and I think it was perfect...I wouldn't have liked it as much had it been taboo just for shock factor. I think she did it beautifully! "

I agree! Author did everything perfectly. It was just a pleasure to read, especially with such a complex characters

message 28: by Nina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nina Oh by the way Lucia, I made two friends read it. One loved it - the other one not so much. She just couldn't wrap her mind around Nicholas' character. The three of us had a pretty heated discussion ;)

Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥ Lucia wrote: "Author did everything perfectly. It was just a pleasure to read, especially with such a complex characters "

Totally AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucia Nina wrote: "Oh by the way Lucia, I made two friends read it. One loved it - the other one not so much. She just couldn't wrap her mind around Nicholas' character. The three of us had a pretty heated discussion ;)"

I plan to recommend it to my mum, we always discuss books together so i am curious what she will say ;)

message 31: by Nina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nina Lucia wrote: "Nina wrote: "Oh by the way Lucia, I made two friends read it. One loved it - the other one not so much. She just couldn't wrap her mind around Nicholas' character. The three of us had a pretty heat..."

Haha, my mom would probably love it but she reads like one book every ten years (sometimes I wonder if I'm adopted ;). But I will make my sister read it once I get the paperback.

message 32: by Dd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dd Great review Lucia!!:))

Lucia Dd wrote: "Great review Lucia!!:))"

Thank you Dd! I loved this book!

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog I love your cast of characters! Great review, too, Lucia :)

Lucia Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ wrote: "I love your cast of characters! Great review, too, Lucia :)"

Thank you Tessamari :) I am glad you love pics. It was such an amazing story, right?

Brenna Guess what I ordered in paperback today?!?! ;) ;) ;) ;)

message 38: by Nina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nina Brenna wrote: "Guess what I ordered in paperback today?!?! ;) ;) ;) ;)"

Awww :) I ordered mine, too! I'm still so obsessed with this book :P

Brenna Nina wrote: "Brenna wrote: "Guess what I ordered in paperback today?!?! ;) ;) ;) ;)"

Awww :) I ordered mine, too! I'm still so obsessed with this book :P"

I went a little overboard with my amazon order today :/ so excited though!! BOOKS!!! :D

Lucia Brenna wrote: "Guess what I ordered in paperback today?!?! ;) ;) ;) ;)"

Yay :) I am waiting for my copy too! I just have to have this on my bookshelf!

And I absolutely understand Brenna :) what else did you get?

Brenna Lucia wrote: "Brenna wrote: "Guess what I ordered in paperback today?!?! ;) ;) ;) ;)"

Yay :) I am waiting for my copy too! I just have to have this on my bookshelf!

And I absolutely understand Brenna :) what e..."

You made me want to read it so bad, so I figured I'd go straight for the print copy ;) I got the Bronze Horseman Trilogy, Avoiding 1&2, Captive in the Dark, God-Shaped Hole, a couple John Green books, Bloodlines 1&2, and a few others. I got a credit from some textbooks I traded in, that's why. Otherwise I wouldn't have gone so crazy!

Brenna And The Devils's Metal. I had to reorder cuz the one I got has water damage :(

Lucia Brenna wrote: "And The Devils's Metal. I had to reorder cuz the one I got has water damage :("

Mine Devils Metal still hasn't arrived yet :( I am worried it got last on the way since it was despatched before Christmas. And Brenna? In my eyes you can never go overboard with books LOL

Brenna Hahaha true! :) yeah, that seems like a long time! Is there no tracking? If you can cancel your order, reorder and have it sent to me and I'll get it signed when we are in KC...?

message 45: by Nina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nina Brenna wrote: "Hahaha true! :) yeah, that seems like a long time! Is there no tracking? If you can cancel your order, reorder and have it sent to me and I'll get it signed when we are in KC...?"

Aw, man I'm soooo jealous of everyone who gets to go there!

And I agree, there's no way to have too many books^^ I got rid of a bunch of stuff to make room for more books.

I need to buy a copy of Devil's Metal, too, before they pull it!!

Lucia Nina, we have to persuade Karina to come to Europe too so we can meet her :)

message 47: by Nina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nina Lucia wrote: "Nina, we have to persuade Karina to come to Europe too so we can meet her :)

And hurry up with Devil's Metal, it is still on bookdepository but who knows how long for..."

Yes! To both :P She definitely has to come to Europe sometime! Preferably somewhere that's close to both of us ;)

Monika OMG... It's five stars for you too.... Great review Lucia.. You said everything I want to say about this book.... yes this book is FANTASTIC.... (My version of Nicholas is Ewan McGregor from Moulin Rouge when he's singing Your Song!!!) love this book... I've got hungover after this... What an unconventional love story!

message 49: by Lucia (last edited Jan 16, 2013 06:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucia Monika wrote: "OMG... It's five stars for you too.... Great review Lucia.. You said everything I want to say about this book.... yes this book is FANTASTIC.... (My version of Nicholas is Ewan McGregor from Moulin..."

This was more than just 5 stars read for me. It was one of the best books I have ever read Monika! Definitely my all time favourite story. I am in love with it and it has been days and I still have to think about it. Book hangover for me too!

message 50: by Monika (last edited Jan 16, 2013 07:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Monika *sigh* I can't read anything right now...... Yes.. All time favorite....

« previous 1