Katie G's Reviews > Story of a Girl

Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr

I enjoyed this book so much more than I thought I would. I got the audiobook to listen to while I exercised, but I ended up listening to it all in just a few sittings because I could not wait to get back to it. I never thought a book that clocked in at less than 5 hours could have such an impact on me, but I was wrong.

Deanna is a great character. She's made a lot of mistakes, and she's still making them, but she's trying so hard to be better. She had sex with her brother's best friend when she was 13 and he was 17, and her father hasn't been able to look at her since. Everyone in their small town thinks they know everything about her now, even though they don't. She likes her best friend, even though he's already dating their other best friend, and neither of them know it. Her brother wants her to go to college and make something of herself, but her only dream is to earn enough money so she can move out with her brother, her brother's girlfriend, and their baby daughter.

This is a book about emotions. Things happen, of course, but the reason I kept reading (or listening) was to see how they dealt with things. People are so quick to judge others, and I feel like if more people could read Deanna's story, maybe they would learn to be more open-minded, to try to find the whole story before they call someone a "slut."

Deanna might have had sex at 13, but Zarr does a great job of exploring the thought process of a girl that age, explaining what she was really looking for. I like that this book doesn't label people as good or bad. They're all just people who make bad choices and try to learn from them - eventually. Like her friend says, "Everyone has stuff they wish they could change, right?"

This is a short but powerful book. I wish more people would read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Story of a Girl.

December 30, 2012 – Shelved