Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > Replay

Replay by Ken Grimwood

bookshelves: science-fantasy, science-fiction

Well see Bill Murry is in this small town and for some reason he wakes up there every day and it's the same day. He's living Ground Hog day over and over and he needs to learn....

No wait, that's a movie this is a book. Okay Jeff Winston is 43 years old and he apparently has a heart attack...and wakes up in his old college dorm room 25 years before. He died in 1988 and woke up in 1963.

We now follow the story of his life...his redeath and his reawakening again, and again. While Murry in Ground Hog Day relives the same day, Jeff is reliving 25 years.

I won't go into what happens in his lives as that is the point and I think most will enjoy reading this book. It is a very involving read. It has a nice feel and deals with something I think most people have considered ("if only I knew then what I know now", "if only I could have that chance I blew back when", "if only I could have another chance with the girl/guy who got away").

There is a little bit of "urk" in the book (thus my 4 instead of 5). The writer's politics will show up and the book's conclusion is a bit...subjective. I'm not huge on "Message books" and (of course) this book does have it's point of view/message to give. It's not however overwhelming (that is the message doesn't overwhelm the plot) and it doesn't spoil the story. The book doesn't get preachy it simply tells a story where the writer's idea/view point are assumed to be fact. One of the best ways to convince someone of your viewpoint.

So whether you will be convinced of anything or not the book tells a good story and I think you'll enjoy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Replay.

December 30, 2012 – Shelved
May 29, 2015 – Started Reading
Finished Reading
June 10, 2015 – Shelved as: science-fantasy
June 10, 2015 – Shelved as: science-fiction

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by Marina (new)

Marina Fontaine Looking forward to your review, Mike! I've had this one on and off my TBR forever, just still not sure if I want to read it.

Mike (the Paladin) I reserved it at the library...so much for my cutting back on the extra reads,LOL.

message 3: by Marina (new)

Marina Fontaine I'm really bad! I keep picking up new books instead of going through my TBR.

Mike (the Paladin) I do that constantly...I have no will power. But last week I burned through several books and realized I was "conquering" books more than reading. I had an 800 page library book I just couldn't get interested in. So...I sent the library books that were waiting back and decided to read some books I'd been "meaning to read".

Then someone recommended this one and "it looked interesting" so I reserved it at the library...like I said, no will power.

Mike I'm eager to read your review as well. So far, I like it.

Mike Mike, you should get around to this one.

Mike (the Paladin) Okay, just got it from the library.

Mike Lol.

Mike Yay! Currently reading! Enjoy.

Mike (the Paladin) Yeah almost half way through. Interesting.

Peter Monn One of my all time favorite books.

message 12: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Can he buy stocks and bet on sports? I wouldn't mind.