Brian's Reviews > Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

Mar 12, 2009

bookshelves: short-stories-and-essays, 2009

This book was great. Reading it I couldn't help but hear him narrating it in my head (is there an audiobook version? May have to look for that...). Overall it's a good wake up call as to some of the practices in the restaurant world and one man's journey through life in New York to where he is today.

So I've been a fan of Anthony Bourdain for a little while now, first getting into his TV show No Reservations. I like his tastes and his opinionated nature as to what deserves recognition as a culinary delight (all things pork) and what you should avoid at all costs (Rachel Ray). He tends to strike some people as a bit of an asshole (and certainly at times I could agree with that), but I honestly think there's a lot more to him than that. He provides ample evidence that he does in fact heave a heart beneath that rough punk-rock, Ramones lovin' exterior. He accepts the consequences of his actions and admits to his mistakes and ultimately would in my mind probably be a blast to hang out with. He's had a rough road getting to the place he's at now and really, in my mind, he's earned every scarp of recognition he gets.

Overall, he's a great writer with a very clear and distinct foul-mouthed voice. I treat this as a Good Thing. So if you don't mind the language/sex/drugs/etc and are interested in the culinary world at all, I highly recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitchen Confidential.

March 12, 2009 – Shelved