Beverly Diehl's Reviews > Lady Louisa's Christmas Knight

Lady Louisa's Christmas Knight by Grace Burrowes

5641908
Dec 30, 2012

bookshelves: christmas, historical-fiction, romance

Lady Louisa Windham daughter of the Duke of Moreland, has a secret that could ruin her reputation forever. Sir Joseph Carrington, known almost as the P. I. to the nobility (not to mention being a pig farmer), has a few secrets of his own. Who will find out whose secrets, first?

What I liked about this novel: neither Lady Louisa, nor Sir Joseph, are particularly young. Louisa, at nearly 30, is practically an aged spinster in that era. Sir Joseph is a widower with young daughters. I like that, as seems to be a trademark in Burrowes’ Duke of Moreland series, the entire family gets involved in sorting things out. This is something we don’t see in many romantic novels; the hero and heroine seem to exist in a vacuum, with perhaps one best friend apiece, unlike real life. I love that the novel includes plenty of humor and very steamy sex scenes.

I liked that Louisa was very bold with her sexual needs. “Instead of sending a note, she’s been greedy, sensing she could at least have shocking intimacies with him, even if the worst were to happen tomorrow.”

What I didn’t like about this novel: Sir Joseph’s secret social standing is conveniently high enough to make him a perfect match for Louisa. He is also almost too understanding of her erudition and literary ambitions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Louisa's Christmas Knight.