Teena in Toronto's Reviews > Primal

Primal by D.A. Serra

Dec 30, 2012

Read from December 30, 2012 to January 30, 2013

Schoolteacher Allison is talked into going on a fishing vacation by her husband, Hank, and son, Jimmy. She would rather be at the spa (me too!). When they arrive at the camp, they meet the others who will be staying in cabins nearby. The common meeting place is a lodge where they meet for meals. There are no phones or Internet ... definitely roughing it.

Ben Burne is in prison and despite being a model prisoner, has been sentenced to death for his crime. With a month to go before he'll be put to death, Ben does the right thing and offers to donate his kidney to a young woman who needs it. He's not going to need it anymore, right?

Ben escapes with the help of his crazy brothers and they head to Canada. On the way, their boat breaks down and that's when things go very badly for the vacationers because that's where the brothers have to stop in for help. Things turn nasty and it's up to Allison to save her family and the others. And yes, things do get worse.

This is the first book I've read by this author and I really enjoyed it. I liked the writing style. It was fast-paced and kept me wanting to read more. The characters were well-developed. I was cheering Allison on. The Burne Brothers were crazy and that comes through. I could feel Hank's desperation and frustration in wanting to help his wife. I'd recommend this book and will look for more by this author.

Blog review post: http://www.teenaintoronto.com/2013/01...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Primal.