Melanie's Reviews > The Ghost in the Hall

The Ghost in the Hall by K.M. Avery

F 50x66

outstanding paranormal romance and mystery

Rating: 4.75🌈

K.M. Avery is another new author for me and this book drew my attention not just for that reason but for the description of this book and the foundation of the series.

Avery uses the pandemic or a pandemic as the basis for the appearance of a new group of beings , permanently changed by the virus. The Arcanavirus that killed 11 percent of the world population the first time it arrived to devastating results. Now it, a fact of life, it still kills a small portion yearly and leaves a smaller number that survived permanently changed each time someone is infected. Mask’s, testing, seasonal fluctuations. Indoor health specifications as far as masks, clothes etc to keep virus clear.

Arcanids or Nids , as the new mutations are called, have a number of forms. Some are vampires, fauns, elves, orcs, ghouls, so many related to mythology and the paranormal. And some like Edward Campion, our narrator, can see and converse with the dead.

The way Avery speculates, through Edward, on how the virus could have brought about these vast magical transformations is thoughtful and satisfying, with some scientific basis.

Of course there’s always a flip side to these transformations. That’s the fear, prejudice, bigotry, and outright injustice that accompanies a person who was a “normal looking” member of society who becomes a totally different being, through no fault other than they contracted a virus and had a virulent reaction. Avery hits that spot on here on multiple levels and with more then one character.

Slavery, bigotry, prejudices, fear, and injustice. Ugly versus beautiful forms acceptance. Past and present. It’s all woven so beautifully together into a complicated and emotional story that journeys through the magical, the paranormal, and historical. It has a ghost so utterly charming and in charge you will be beguiled by her.

But it’s the haunting horror of a mystery and the remarkable romance that slowly develops between Edward and Mason.

Mason’s character is a revelation. He’s a well defined gift that continues to give the more we get to know him. It’s one surprise after another. So amazing. His depths are absolutely the equal to Edward’s well crafted personality. They are well matched.

Another is the wry, acerbic elf detective Hart. He’s terrific and deserving of a much larger amount of storyline. Or his own book.

The mystery or mysteries are suspenseful, full of horror and mounting terror for those involved. Avery’s writing just builds towards an explosive climax that’s beyond everything.

I honestly didn’t expect it. And the repercussions. It makes me want to jump instantly into the next book.

I’m so enthusiastic about Avery, this series, and all the characters the author’s created within. The world building is thoughtful and the relationships layered with room for growth.

I’m excited to see where it goes from here.

I’m highly recommending The Ghost In The Hall (Beyond The Veil #1) by K.M. Avery.

Especially for all lovers of paranormal and magical mysteries.

Beyond The Veil series:
- [x] The Ghost in the Hall #1
- [ ] The Boy in the Locked Room #2
- [ ] The Skeleton Under the Stairs #3

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ghost in the Hall.

Started Reading