Julie Christine's Reviews > White Dog Fell from the Sky

White Dog Fell from the Sky by Eleanor Morse

bookshelves: africa-theme-setting, historical-fiction, read-2013, best-of-2013
Recommended to Julie Christine by: Jeanette "Astute Crabbist"

White Dog Fell from the Sky is as beautiful and profound a novel about love as any I have read. With grace and power it presents all the forms of love the heart is capable of holding: love born of compassion and of passion, love of family and of country, the blinding, feral love for one’s children, for any child, the helpless love for suffering animals, the love of justice that compels us to act, despite our fear.

The story unfolds in Botswana in the mid-1970’s. Across the border in South Africa the jaws of apartheid are grinding black citizens to bone and dust; those caught rebelling face torture and death in prison. A young medical student, Isaac Muthethe, escapes across the border in a hearse, hoping to create a new life and eventually smuggle his younger siblings into Botswana before apartheid swallows them whole. A stranger to Botswana, with no contacts or destination, Isaac begins walking. Behind him is a dog who appeared out of nowhere and who refuses to be left behind. Isaac names him White Dog and so by naming him, becomes attached to him as a symbol of survival and unconditional love.

By chance Isaac encounters an old chum, Amen, who is a member of the South African resistance movement, the ANC. Amen invites Isaac into his household. Fortuitously, Isaac is hired as a gardener by Alice Mendelssohn, an American woman in a nearby town.

Alice’s story, which begins as her marriage comes to an end, becomes linked to Isaac’s by a spark of compassion. It’s as if her heart knows its way before her head has a chance to object. She welcomes Isaac into her home with matter-of-fact generosity, while her mind is distracted by the stress of a stuttering marriage coming to a cold stall.

To put some distance between herself and her present reality, Alice leaves town on a research trip to the great veldt of Botswana - remote, removed, cut off from her town life. Alice asks Isaac to remain in her home during her absence. He is overwhelmed by her sudden trust, yet determined to be worthy of her respect. Alice is surprised to fall in sudden love with a taciturn British anthropologist, Ian Henry. She delays her return home to explore the possibility of a future with this solitary man, her senior by a generation.

When Alice returns several weeks later, Isaac has disappeared. His beloved companion, White Dog, remains behind, waiting for him, nearly dead from starvation. In the kitchen an uneaten bowl of porridge sits spoiled on the table, as if Isaac had been interrupted at his breakfast.

Isaac’s fate takes the reader into dark and terrible places; Alice’s quest to find him reveals the light of compassion and the depth of love.

In addition to love, the themes of social justice and political realities in Africa play central roles in the narrative. Man-made borders, that between Botswana and South Africa, the separation of blacks and whites, the barriers of language, social class and nationality as well as the fences designed to keep wildlife away from pasture land, create a sense of confinement and claustrophobia that is at ironic odds with the vast savanna of southern Africa.

Eleanor Morse’s prose captures the searing heat and treacherous beauty of Botswana; her characters touch every sense with a Babel of languages, revealing eyes or masked expressions, the salt on their skin, the sweat that clings to their clothes, the hair that shows or belies their ages. The tension she maintains leaves the reader raw and unable to let the book rest – the story compels as much as it shatters.

There is something very classic about Morse's writing style. This is the work of a mature, confident writer – making me think of Margaret Atwood, Shirley Hazzard, Richard Ford, Iris Murdoch. It could have been written thirty years ago instead of last year – there is an elegance, an ease, a straightforward storytelling style that contains not the least trace of contemporary self-consciousness.

I implore you to read this beautiful book. Your soul will tremble, your heart will ache and you will be changed as a reader.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Dog Fell from the Sky.

December 29, 2012 – Shelved
February 24, 2013 – Started Reading
February 25, 2013 –
page 106
28.8% "I am loving this. Exquisite writing. Margaret Atwood meets JM Coetzee."
February 27, 2013 –
page 130
35.33% "In this cold, grey end of winter how I long for the hot, golden air of southern Africa. No wolf spiders, though- please."
February 28, 2013 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
February 28, 2013 – Shelved as: africa-theme-setting
February 28, 2013 – Shelved as: read-2013
February 28, 2013 – Shelved as: best-of-2013
February 28, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Jill I'm so impressed with this book.

Julie Christine As am I, Jill. Absolutely taken with the story, characters, writing. Expecting a 5-star read if it continues as this level.

message 3: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Holder The title is intriguing.

Julie Christine Jeanette wrote: "Lovely review, Julie. I'm so glad this moved you like it did me."

I keep editing my review. I just can't say it well enough, deeply enough how much I loved this book. Thank you, thank you. What a gift of a read this is!

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Sounds great. If the book moves me as much as your keen, wonderful review, I'm sure that I'll love it.

Jill Ah, Julie. You expressed exactly what I felt in reading this book, and more powerfully than I did. This book touched my heart in so many ways.

message 7: by Bonnie (new) - added it

Bonnie Brody I just started this book and your review is magnificent.

Julie Christine Bonnie wrote: "I just started this book and your review is magnificent."

Thank you, Bonnie! I hope you enjoy this wonderful book.

Suzanne I've never heard of this novel or author. Because of your review, I'll have to put it on my to read list. Thank you.

message 10: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Starting this today and very excited!

VerJean Thank you for writing such a lovely review. I don't take time to do anything so complete or well written - just a few words for family/friends to know if I liked a book or not. You've summed up so much of a book that totally 'snuck up' on me' with so much more than I expected. Thanks again.

Julie Christine VerJean (Jeanie) wrote: "Thank you for writing such a lovely review. I don't take time to do anything so complete or well written - just a few words for family/friends to know if I liked a book or not. You've summed up so ..."

Jeanie, I'm so grateful for the feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed this book. I never would have found it but for a recommendation by one of Goodreads's most sublime reviewers, so it's wonderful to share the love!

Best wishes,