Angie's Reviews > We Bought a Zoo

We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee

did not like it
bookshelves: audio, contemporary

Synopsis: "In the tradition of "Marley & Me" comes an unforgettable memoir about the mysteries of the animal kingdom, the power of family, and the triumph of hope over tragedy in this chronicle of the Mee family's purchase of the Dartmoor Wildlife Park, a dilapidated zoo in the English countryside."

My Review: I listened to the audio version of this book and even though it was only a little over 8 hours, it took me nearly two months to finish it. I really had a hard time sitting down and pushing through this book. I am not sure if it was the author or the narrator, who had a very monotone and boring voice with an English accent. I found absolutely no connection with the story, characters, nothing. There was no emotional connection at all, which I really expected, even with the passing of the author's wife. It really read more like a manual about how to buy a zoo and get the bank and government agencies to approve you than about the animals or a family. The nearly only bright spot in the book came over 7 hours in when they were transporting the big cats. I must say it was a real disappointment for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Bought a Zoo.

December 29, 2012 – Shelved