Jennifer's Reviews > Midnight Scandals

Midnight Scandals by Courtney Milan

bookshelves: romance

The entire anthology was above average and well-worth a read.

My least favorite story was the one by Carolyn Jewel. Say 3 stars. Eleanor completely distracted me from the story; it was like trying to look at a work of art with a clown dancing in your side view. Maybe some people can ignore tye overwhelming presence of the clown, but I could not. Had the novella been a novel, maybe there would have been enough to temper Eleanor for me. The writing was lovely, the angst and romance well done but Eleanor was just TOO well done.

3.5 for the Milan story. If I felt Jewel's story was to big for the pages, Milan's story was not as big as I expect out of her. The tyranny of expectations, I suppose.

Thomas's story was my favorite-5 stars. She did two wonderful things for me in this story: 1) She took a character (Isabelle) that I didn't like in a previous book and made me care for her. 2) She took a story that could have been overwhelmed with sadness and made it light and funny. The story still wasn't light-hearted, but it could've been oppressive and it wasn't. Just lovely.

The overall rating isn't an average of my rating of each story, rather it's my impression of the collection as a whole.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Scandals.

December 29, 2012 – Started Reading