Mel's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction

This book has been raved about by every book blogger on the bloggersphere or bloggernacle. So, if you want a glowing review, there are many to choose from. But you won't find it here.

I will be brief, because it’s taken me so long to read The Help (6 weeks – that’s insane) I don’t think I can spend any more time to write a review, because I want to be done. I am a lone dissenter in the high praise for this book. I hated it, I loved it; I was offended, I was bored; I was angry, I felt guilty; I cried: My emotions and feelings about this book were all over the place. My final reaction was that it was racist. Maybe because I live in the South and I can’t separate myself from my surroundings and my state’s history. But, that’s how I felt. Sorry, I’ve got no other great metaphorical explanation.

But since it’s the “book du jour” in the publishing world and The New York Times, I think you should read it regardless of how I felt about it.

My copy is available!

Postscript: One more thing I would like to add...that I didn't in my rant (because, like I said, I was DONE), but every book review I've read was by a white woman -- every quote on the back dust jacket is by a white woman -- I really would like to know what the African American community thinks of this book?? One of the many things that bothered me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.

March 10, 2009 – Shelved
August 21, 2009 –
page 1
October 2, 2009 –
page 214
48.2% "I suspended reading...now I am back to it...hopefully I can finish without judgement."
Started Reading
October 9, 2009 –
page 451
100% "I'm done! I'm done! I'm finally done!"
October 9, 2009 – Shelved as: fiction