Shannon's Reviews > I Don't Believe in Atheists

Mar 10, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: festival-of-suck
Read in March, 2009

This is truly bad. I kind of wanted to throw the book into a fire.

Chris Hedges makes sweeping generalizations about the "new atheists", ones that make it impossible to take his points seriously. I can't tell if he's being intentionally daft and lazy, in failing to cite almost ANY specifics (ie, say, a quote, because some of the things he says that Dawkins, for example, claim, are clearly taken way out of context and misconstrued). Or he really believes the conclusions he has reached, through really shitty logic. Either way, bad times. (I'd give specific examples myself, but since Hedges didn't seem to bother in his PUBLISHED BOOK, I'm not going to in my goodreads review).

Hedges clearly has an angry emotional reaction to the "militant atheism" movement, which has impeded greatly on his ability to make a rational, objective, response to it.

And trust me, it's not that I don't want to read something that is critical of my existing beliefs- I'm currently reading "The Devil's Delusion" which is along the same lines as this book, in subject matter, but actually cites specific examples, is well thought out, and well-written. A good critique is an awesome thing to read. This, however, is just some drivel-y, whiny, nonsense.

You get an F, Chris Hedges. I'd expect more from a "journalist".

(I'm not even going to dignify this with "non-fiction" shelving).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Don't Believe in Atheists.

08/03 marked as: read