Nicole G.'s Reviews > The Girl in His Shadow

The Girl in His Shadow by Audrey  Blake

bookshelves: 2022, historical-fiction

3.5 rounded up.

This pick was part of my country library's Largest Digital Bookclub, where there were no wait-lists or holds for this book during a particular length of time. And the premise sounded interesting.

This is historical fiction set in 1800s England, where our protagonist is orphaned by cholera and taken in by the doctor who rescued her. Growing up surrounded by medicine and science, Nora is determined to be something other than a wife and housekeeper. But medicine is not fit for women's delicate sensibilities, say men.

I found the book pretty engaging, as I'm always interested to learn about medical procedures and what scientific theories were floating about during that time. Nora, however, does seem a little flat and vague compared to the other characters.

I thought that the attitudes towards her were mostly accurate for the time period, where no one was an unredeemable villain but even those she loves harboring a bit of skepticism.

There is a second book out that continues the story, which I might pick up to see how it all turns out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in His Shadow.

July 29, 2022 – Started Reading