Stephanie's Reviews > Bread and Jam for Frances

Bread and Jam for Frances by Russell Hoban

1132033

I was not fair to my daughter last night. I persisted in reading Bread and Jam for Frances, by Russell Hoban, to her even after she lost interest and started standing up and running around on the bed. I couldn't put it down. This is a favorite from my childhood that I am happy to revisit and will revisit again when my daughter is a little older.

Frances is a girl (well, a badger) after my own heart. She'd rather eat bread and jam than eggs. As my friends know, I abhor egg dishes, but will happily eat cake, even though it contains eggs as an ingredient. However, Frances's preference for bread and jam extends beyond eggs to all other foods. Her very wise parents decide to give Frances bread and jam for breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner, until poor Frances cries at the dinner table and asks if she could please have some spaghetti with meatballs, like the rest of the family is eating.

Frances is a delight, singing little witty songs about her likes and dislikes of food. Frances's parents are sterling examples of parenting whom I would be well served in emulating. There is a great scene where Mr. Hoban describes Frances's classmate, Albert, eating his delicious, balanced, varied and interesting lunch bite by bite, as Frances wistfully looks on over her bread and jam.

I am looking forward to rereading other Frances books as well as sharing them with my daughter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bread and Jam for Frances.

Started Reading