Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

Dec 28, 2012

bookshelves: biography-memoir, favorites, foodie
Recommended to Jenny (Reading Envy) by: Andy/Troy/Tad/Dennis - I won't forget!

How could I have never reviewed this book? I read this at a key turning point in my life, and was one of those books that changed everything for me. I was 22. I had gotten married and gone directly to graduate school right after graduating with a BA in music, with a full ride and graduate assistantship in the School of Folklore at Indiana University. It wasn't a good fit for me. By the time I enrolled in the fieldwork class, I knew I was probably on my way out, and got permission to do my fieldwork assignments in restaurant kitchens. The culinary-school trained cooks in the restaurant commanded me to read this book when I was still just observing and volunteering (I later worked there until I moved away), and it solidified my love for an industry that I was already excited by because of my experiences.

Anthony Bourdain may seem a bit extreme, but his tales of what really goes on in restaurants and among cooks is not that far off from my own experiences. Ask me to tell you about the time I slammed the head waiter's head in the fridge door, or ask for a kitchen-scar tour of my body. Once you are immersed in that world, it changes you. I loved it. I loved the rush, the thrill, the creativity, the challenge. I feel like Bourdain's memories are my memories. I may love him as a TV personality and a guest actor in my dreams, but this is where I love him the most.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitchen Confidential.

Started Reading
January 1, 2001 – Finished Reading
December 28, 2012 – Shelved
December 28, 2012 – Shelved as: biography-memoir
December 28, 2012 – Shelved as: favorites
December 28, 2012 – Shelved as: foodie

message 1: by Tamahome (last edited Dec 29, 2012 06:05AM) (new)

Tamahome I didn't know you majored in music. Have you read Bourdain's graphic novel yet? Sushi chefs rule the future with an iron knife.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Tamahome wrote: "I didn't know you majored in music. Have you read Bourdain's graphic novel yet? Sushi chefs rule the future with an iron knife.

"

I dont think I would have made a good music librarian otherwise.

I haven't read his graphic novels, or his novels. I'm worried they will be bad.....

message 3: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome I guees i thought of you as a librarian of all trades. The graphic novel wasn't bad and the art is very good. But I probably missed a lot of foodie references.

Julie Davis I always trusted Bordain's writing in this book, despite some who decried it in the industry. It's nice to see it verified. I'm not crazy about his travel experiences, but loved this book.

message 5: by Holly (new)

Holly I knew you majored in music, but didn't know the rest! Very interesting - sounds like quite an experience. I'd love to hear more about it sometime. I like Anthony, too, most of the time.