Scarlett Brown's Reviews > Croak

Croak by Gina Damico

U 50x66
Dec 28, 2012

it was ok

This book was okay. The plot was interesting, and I knew from the summarization on the back that Lex would have anger issues, but I definitely didn't expect her to be the way she was.
The worst thing about Croak was the main character. Gina obviously thought that it would be cool to have a sexy, bad girl. Especially to fit the uncle's reaping buisness. But when her parents have to tie her up to avoid being hurt by her unpredictable, tumultous behavior- that is not funny. It's absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable. Lex is immature. She acts out at a drop of a pin and it's very plain to see that she thinks she is the coolest creature that's ever walked this Earth. Let me tell you- she isn't. To put it bluntly, if I were her parents, I would disown her the second she took a fist to me.
Moving on. Like I said, the plot was very well thought of and it was unique. The characters were alright, but they had almost as much depth as Lex- compltely none. There were also too many of them, and I really didn't care at all about any of them, least of all the main character.
The only thing that kept me reading this was the whole attraction between Lex and Driggs. Even that though was awkward and not fitting. I just couldn't connect with Lex, because of what a jerk she was, and Driggs... I could not for the life of me understand what he found attractive about her.
There was one plot twist at the end, and it really wasn't enough to tug at any emotions. It was kind of... meh. Also, on the cover of the book, it is said to be hilariously funny. There's joking about how people die horrible deaths. Which, in my book, isn't really funny. Also, hating the main character was an issue for me. Lex was such an immature little brat, who had no respect for anyone and who needed some serious, thorough beatings.
The characters were undeveloped, and I had a hard time finishing this book. It became a do-to-say-I-did kind of thing. Gina Damico seems intellegent, and I'm sure she can do better than this.
This is my opinion though, and some other people might think Lex is perfectly fine and that the humor in this book is hilarious. If so, read it. It's a great plot line.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Croak.