SheReadsALot's Reviews > Where You Are

Where You Are by J.H. Trumble

bookshelves: m-m-romance, contemporary, teacher-student, damaged-hero, age-difference, young-adult, angst, hard-knock-life, clean-pg-read
Recommended to SheReadsALot by: Dena

Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.

Such a controversial subject, done in such a way where the sexual aspect of the forbidden (teacher/student theme) is secondary. Yet the story, the story is strong and realistic and oddly provocative without getting vulgar or trying too hard.

The book was an emotional roller coaster for me.

The strongest emotion: anger and disgust but not for the two main characters, 17 year old - Robert or 24 year old - Andrew. It was most of the women in their lives - Roberts' aunts- I seriously have never wanted to go through a book and rip out two women's entrails more. They disgust me. Their level of selfishness made me sick to my stomach. And the fact that I know there are people who actually are like that...I have no words.

Not in a good way.

I am so empathetic to Robert's home life. It's a sad home life. And that pathetic selfish excuse for a father...it's a wonder Robert was so normal. Well I guess under the circumstances.

Andrew, the handsome, single teacher...he's the one pursued by the teen. While both men fall victims to lust, they fall in love first. And it is believable. Andrew, he's been manipulated by an ex-wife (Maya) who I can't blame for trying. If I had an Andrew in my life, I'd want to hold on to his shine for just a little longer. But she had a difficult time dealing with the fact that he was gay and would not fall back into her arms.

The author did quite a bit of research about legalities and famous cases and it shows in the work. This story is strong. It's young adult but anyone could read it and be left mostly satisfied. (If you are looking for kink or sexy classroom antics - don't look for it here - the sex is glossed over)

And I find it wasn't necessary, this story is strong enough without being cheapened.

I hope this review makes sense because I'm still reeling from the last 20% of this book it is a head spinner. And the result is HEA but a realistic one if you can read between the lines.

This would be a great starter book for those who are curious about MM and like a strong story and tame sexual actions.

Wow.

I'm going to have a drink now. LOL

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where You Are.

December 28, 2012 – Shelved
April 26, 2013 –
5.0% "Oh...this bitch?!\n \n "
Started Reading
April 27, 2013 –
70.0% "I can't fathom the level of selfishness in some people. They make me want to vomit."
April 27, 2013 –
81.0% "I'm so nervous about the rest of this story...it's beginning to spiral.\n \n "
April 27, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

message 1: by Vio (new) - added it

Vio Great review SRL....I have to shorten it!

SheReadsALot Vio wrote: "Great review SRL....I have to shorten it!"

LOL most do. L is just fine as well.

Thanks!

message 3: by Vio (new) - added it

Vio Oh good, lol!

Nina Great review! I have this on my ereader, I just need to find the time to read it...lol

Kelster Great review D. You summed up my thoughts exactly.

SheReadsALot Nina wrote: "Great review! I have this on my ereader, I just need to find the time to read it...lol"

Thanks, Nina. If only we could create an extra few hours each day just reading...it'd be great.

SheReadsALot Kelster wrote: "Great review D. You summed up my thoughts exactly."

Thanks Kel. Dena made a great choice for a group read.

Kelster She did!!

message 9: by Baba (new)

Baba  Great review, S!

SheReadsALot Baba ♥♥♥ Marcus, Tyler, Tate, Dan, Ty, & Hunter wrote: "Great review, S!"

Thanks Lady B!

Jenni Yes, all of this. YES. :D

SheReadsALot Jenni wrote: "Yes, all of this. YES. :D"

This book is seriously a gem. ;D

message 13: by Mona (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mona GREAT review! Maybe my next read...

message 14: by Maggie (new) - added it

Maggie Simms Great review. I might read this next. The guy on the cover is gorgeous!

message 15: by SheReadsALot (last edited Mar 12, 2014 04:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

SheReadsALot Thanks very much! The cover guy is hot. I hope you enjoy, it was quite a story. :D

message 16: by Maggie (new) - added it

Maggie Simms I need to stop downloading books and just read from my long list of downloaded but not read yet. Gush, but I just can't resist buying the next story that sounds good!

SheReadsALot Maggie wrote: "I need to stop downloading books and just read from my long list of downloaded but not read yet. Gush, but I just can't resist buying the next story that sounds good!"

You're preaching to the choir. Have you seen my massive TBR? If all these great authors can stop writing books for about 3 months, let me pretend to catch up, it'd help.

LOL

message 18: by Maggie (new) - added it

Maggie Simms LOL! Nooo. I want MORE good books published. I haven't had a lot of five stars lately.