Angie Lisle's Reviews > Mountain Magic: Spellbinding Tales Of Appalachia

Mountain Magic by Brian J. Hatcher

Magical, in a bloody, grisly sort of way, with a wee dram of Appalachian history thrown into the mix - this is a collection that reads like an evolved version of an old mountain ballad or the fairy tales before Disney got a'hold of the them. While these stories and poems made me think of the old bloody ballads, they were also separate - these are new stories arising from the world that came after the age of the mountain ballads. I'm glad I added this to my Appalachian Literature collection.

I enjoyed all of the stories and poems collected here, but my favorite is Fiddlelegs by Steve Vernon - the story is deliciously creepy and I'm definitely looking up more of Vernon's work.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mountain Magic.

December 22, 2012 – Started Reading
December 27, 2012 – Shelved
December 31, 2012 –
page 63
43.75% "I am going to finish this in the next half-hour. It will be the last book I read in 2012. It is my 130th book of the year. (And it's a pretty good book too)."
December 31, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Dj (new)

Dj how man stories? Was it interesting?

message 2: by Dj (new)

Dj err how many

Angie Lisle 13 stories - a couple of them are poems. One story, Fiddlelegs by Steve Vernon, is creepy as hell.

Look up the editor's (Brian J. Hatcher) website - he does book-signings. I don't know if he will be in your neck of the woods anytime soon, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

message 4: by Dj (new)

Dj thanks-can't hurt to look!