Judy's Reviews > Until I Find You

Until I Find You by John Irving

did not like it
bookshelves: did-not-finish

I enjoyed the first section of this book, which seems almost like a return to the Irving of 'The World According to Garp' or 'The Hotel New Hampshire', about the young Jack and his tattooist mother wandering through assorted European cities searching for his elusive father. However, I feel the book deteriorates disastrously after that - the writing style seems to go downhill and there is a lot about child abuse which I just didn't want to go on reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Until I Find You.

March 9, 2009 – Shelved
Started Reading
March 15, 2009 – Finished Reading
November 19, 2016 – Shelved as: did-not-finish

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann I am so sad to hear this. Some of my family have considered his writings almost classical. Think I did write about A WIDOW FOR ONE YEAR. Seems I remember, brother's comments about THE HOTEL NEW HAMPSHIRE were that last part of book were not as good as first. I'm wondering if I don't expect too much.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

An author who doesn't grow on you ;-)
for me it was love at first read with Owen and Garp and then Cider but after that nope ..... widoe boo fourth hand booo

message 3: by Judy (new) - rated it 1 star

Judy I agree with Cath - loved Garp, Hotel New Hampshire, Cider House Rules and Owen Meany... also liked a couple of his earlier books before these. But I didn't like Widow or Fourth Hand either, or Son of the Circus... and for me the child sex abuse part of this one is the worst yet.

message 4: by Judy (new) - rated it 1 star

Judy Ann, I think I expect too much too sometimes - with any author I like, I seem to keep going back time and again even if I've been disappointed by several books running. I'm just so excited to see they have a new book that I can't resist.