Heather's Reviews > Pretties

Mar 09, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: 2009
Read in March, 2009

Pretties’ contains an intriguing plot, creative style and interesting characters. The tapestry of this story is woven in such a way that my view of the story and its characters changes with the characters themselves. Typically I prefer the characters I read to develop and then mature, which Tally does, but she is constantly shifting, and I find that my wants for the series shift with her. At the conclusion of Uglies, I was devastated that Tally was leaving David and the Smoke in order to turn pretty and test the cure. I wanted nothing more than to have Tally take the cure and go back to him. But as Tally fights her Pretty-headedness, she falls in love with Zane, and so did I. Now I find myself wanting nothing more than for Tally and Zane to end up with one another. Never have I encountered an author who can change their characters so drastically and yet so seamlessly. Even more compelling is the intricacy of the plot. In a world filled with Pretties, no one is, and in an effort to fight the pretty haze, individuals are starving and cutting themselves in order to feel something real. Not very pretty like, but intriguing none the less.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretties.

12/01/2016 marked as: read