Highlyeccentric's Reviews > The Book of DRAGONS

The Book of DRAGONS by E. Nesbit

Jan 02, 2017

bookshelves: children-s-books, fiction-for-fun

This was really... interesting. Essentially it's a collection of fable/fairy-tale stories involving dragons, in various settings (from the magical realist to the outright fairy tale). I found myself grating a little at the gender tropes in some of the stories (the princess is always fixed, while the hero - rarely a prince - is more active and mobile), but after a while, came to the conclusion that, within those norms, it does a pretty good job. The princesses have character, and preferences, and get a full share of POV-narration. I particularly enjoyed the one where the princess married the pig-boy.

There was one which I suspect Phillip Pullman has read - a brother-and-sister pair run away to the North Pole and rescue a dragon - which was well executed, except for the comic antagonists, the 'fur people', who were supposed to be funny (they're all made of fur! not skin!) but were a pretty obvious Sami/Inuit caricature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of DRAGONS.

December 27, 2012 – Shelved