Katy's Reviews > The Shamanic Detective

The Shamanic Detective by Kirsten Weiss

Dec 26, 2012

bookshelves: ebook, tstl-heroines
Recommended for: fans of mysteries with a touch of the paranormal

Book Info: Genre: Paranormal mystery
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: fans of paranormal/supernatural mysteries.
Trigger Warnings: murder, attempted murder, assault, betrayal

My Thoughts: While there were a few more editing glitches in this one, I was very happy to see that the author had corrected the misinformation about the Death card from Tarot. I was a bit annoyed by both Riga's and Sal's many too stupid to live (TSTL) moments. I mean, why do these people always do this? Oh, someone wants to kill me so I'll make it easy? Gheesh...

I had to admit, despite the fact that I mostly thought she was a brat, that I sort of missed Pen and her amusing T-shirts in this book. However, we did have Sal's family, who were very fun (despite the fact that one might have been trying to kill her), blunt and sarcastic and just very entertaining to watch.

There were a couple minor plot points that were missed in the editing process. First of all (and this is a very minor spoiler), why didn't anyone ever ask Sal where that box of chocolates came from? That might have solved the mystery right there. Secondly, when Sal and Riga were calling the corners, Sal specifically said she would take North, South and Center, and that Riga would take East and West, but after Sal called North, Riga immediately called South. Not only was that incorrect, but it was out of order. When calling the corners, one needs to go in order: North, East, South, West for a regular circle, or North, West, South, East for a banishing/widdershins circle. So that knocked a star off.

However, despite those issues, and despite Riga's and Sal's TSTL moments, I enjoyed this book a lot. I'm very much looking forward to book four, but disappointed that will be all (for now? I have no idea if any more are planned). Still, if you like your mysteries with a touch of the supernatural, then definitely check out this series.

Series Information: Riga Hayworth Paranormal Mysteries
Book 1: The Metaphysical Detective, review linked here where formatting allowed
Book 2: The Alchemical Detective, review linked here where formatting allowed
Book 3: The Shamanic Detective, picked up on Amazon during KDP promotion
Book 4: The Infernal Detective, received from author for review

Disclosure: I picked up a copy on Amazon during a KDP promotion. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: When Riga Hayworth’s lover is arrested, she’s determined to unearth the truth, no matter the cost. But life – and death – get in the way.

All Riga wants is to clear the name of her almost-fiancée, Donovan Mosse. But a death faerie has other plans for her, and Riga is forced to protect a shaman with a house full of murderous relatives. The only way to stop this killer is to figure out who he, or she, is before the next strike. As the two cases become entangled, Riga must choose between facts and faith, and decide just how far she’s willing to go for love.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shamanic Detective.

December 26, 2012 – Shelved
December 26, 2012 – Shelved as: ebook
July 26, 2013 –
30.0% "Well, good, she corrected the misinformation about the Death card in Tarot."
July 27, 2013 – Started Reading
July 27, 2013 –
36.0% "So, you know someone is trying to kill you. Do you a) try to avoid that person and keep yourself safe or b) invite that person into your home and give them plenty of chance to kill you because you "don't want to live in fear"? If you chose B, you might be Too Stupid to Live (and about 95 percent of all "spunky" heroines)."
July 27, 2013 –
37.0% "Question 2. Someone might be out to get you. Do you: a) stay safely holed up in the magnificent and cushy penthouse and let your bodyguard know when you need to go out or b) sneak off to a friend's place, where someone is trying to kill her, too? Again, if you answered b, you might be TSTL. What is WRONG with these people???"
July 27, 2013 –
58.0% "Ah, dammit my Kindle just froze up.. Grrrrr"
July 27, 2013 –
99.0% "Excellent, a reboot and an update and I was back in business. Review coming in a moment."
July 27, 2013 – Finished Reading