Emily Beeson's Reviews > Princess of the Midnight Ball

Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George

Mar 07, 2009

bookshelves: deliciously-clean-read, fantasy-sci-fi
Read in February, 2009

It's official. Jessica Day George is one of my favorite authors. From this point forward, I will be sure to own all of her books as soon as they are released. I loved Dragon Slippers and the sequels and Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow.
Besides loving her books, I've heard her speak and believe me, she's a red-headed riot. Here's an interview I did with her a while back.

Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George

Princess of the Midnight Ball is a retelling of the twelve dancing princesses. To be honest, I'm not familiar with the original tale, so I can't tell you how much this version deviates. However, I can certainly tell you that this version is very enjoyable.

Tall, handsome Galen is returning from war. His parents and sister have all been killed, so he is headed for his aunt and uncle's house in Westfalin.

When he arrives, he finds a welcoming home and a job as an under-gardener at the palace. While working in the gardens, he befriends the eldest princess, Princess Rose. He discovers that Rose has a secret. She is a prisoner and is required to dance every night from midnight until dawn, along with her eleven younger sisters.

A string of princes come to rescue the princesses from their unseen captor. When none of them are successful, Galen takes the matter into his own hands...but he doesn't know anything about magic...and the captor is certainly not a regular mortal.

Princess of the Midnight Ball is full of romance, humor, mystery, adventure, and fantasy. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

It is perfectly clean (as long as an innocent kiss is clean to you :). I recommend it to fairy-tale-lovers of all ages.

Check out lots more reviews at http://homespunlight.blogspot.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess of the Midnight Ball.

Cindy Did you hear that Jessica Day George is coming to The King's English bookstore in Salt Lake for a signing on Friday? I'm going to go with my husband.