K.'s Reviews > Gone Girl

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Dec 26, 2012

bookshelves: 2013, crime, 5-star, own-it-hard-copy, 2015, setting-usa, audience-adult
Read 2 times. Last read November 25, 2015 to November 27, 2015.

27/11/2015
I was very curious to reread this book, because last time I read it was on a day when I spent, as I said below, sixteen hours in airports and on planes, and basically I was hella jetlagged and not in my right mind by the end of it. So I wasn't sure if my thoughts from below would stand up on reread, especially when I knew the big twist and how it was all going to end.

So I was pleasantly surprised when I found this just as exciting and compelling on reread, despite knowing the ending. Sure, the characters are all truly horrible people who should go die in a fire. But it doesn't follow that the story of an unlikeable character/villain can't be compelling. Look at Becky Sharp from Vanity Fair. Or Severus Snape. Or even Sauron - I don't know about you guys, but I'd read like a thousand books worth of Tolkien waffling about trees to find out how Sauron became a giant burning eye on top of a tower. Fucked up character? Definitely. Interesting story? Uh, YES.

Anyway, it's not five stars because I love it. I don't love it, and it's definitely not one that I would recommend to everyone because it's totally fucked up a lot of the time. But it WAS amazing and even on reread, it blew my mind a little bit. So by Goodreads' assessment of what the stars mean? Five out of five.

29/1/2013
It's a rare thing that a book can make me hate both the main characters. Even more so to have me thinking it's an astonishing piece of writing when I finally finish it. The story was completely compelling, to the point where even though I'd spent SIXTEEN HOURS at airports and on planes getting from Orlando to Phoenix that day, I still wanted to keep reading it until the wee small hours just to find out what total insanity was going to happen next.

Yes, it was occasionally difficult to read, because HOLY BUCKETS OF CRAZY, BATMAN. And it's definitely not a book that I would recommend to everyone. Hell, I'm not even sure it's a book that I LOVED. It's pretty confronting and creepy. But it WAS amazing and unpredictable and page-turning. And for that, it gets five stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Girl.

December 26, 2012 – Shelved