Laura Rittenhouse's Reviews > Robbing the Bees: A Biography of Honey--The Sweet Liquid Gold that Seduced the World

Robbing the Bees by Holley Bishop

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction

Having recently acquired beehives, I've read and skimmed quite a few bee books lately. This one is a bit different than the others in that the author spent quite a bit of time with a commercial beekeeper and documents his practices. It's a mix of a memoir, how-to, and history book. I found the memoir entertaining, the how-to dubious (I honestly doubt some of the stats provided) and not always applicable (commercial beekeeping obviously is different than backyard beekeeping in many ways) and the history interesting in parts but a bit long for my taste so I skipped pages at a time.

Because I have wondered about how someone can manage hundreds of hives when I find 2 plenty and because I've always been curious how my store-bought honey is processed, I am glad I read this book. This book is the only beekeeping book I've read that I think people without hives might enjoy. It is well titled as a bio rather than an instruction manual. For people who love honey and are interested in what bees bring to our food-cycle,this book will probably teach you something.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Robbing the Bees.

Started Reading