Ed's Reviews > Night And Day

Mar 07, 2009

bookshelves: crime-fiction-mystery-thriller, reviewed
Recommended for: Parker and Crime Fiction fans
Read in August, 2010

I am sure going to miss Robert B. Parker. I know his books are short and I know some people dislike the lack of description but I appreciate how he can tell a great story through short bursts of dialogue. This is the second of his books, that in the last month, I've read in one sitting, more or less. I'd love to drag them out but I get so caught up, I can't put the damn book down.

This Jesse Stone story involves a peeping tom who calls himself The Night Hawk. During the course of the story he escalates his actions to the point he becomes a real danger. There are two sub-plots. One involves a school principal who violates her students' civil rights and the other involves a swingers' club populated by Paradise, Massachusetts residents. Chief Stone must balance crime fighting, politics and common sense to manage all three situations, simultaneously.

Many wonderfully drawn characters are here, Jenn, Stone's ex-wife, Sunny Randall, a Boston P.I. and sometimes lover, Molly and Suit, two of Paradise's finest, Rita Fiore, an ex-flame, Spike, a restaurant owner, Dix, Stone's therapist, and others. Some of them like Randall, Spike, and Fiore can also be found in two of Parker's other series. They are all there to provide the snappy dialogue that drives this and Parker's other stories.

I've got a few of Parker's books left to read. I think after I devour them I'll go back and re-read the Spenser novels in chronological order. I'm not ready to give Parker up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night And Day.