M.K.'s Reviews > The Duchess War

The Duchess War by Courtney Milan

Dec 23, 2012

bookshelves: bravery, historical-romance, will-cause-neglect-of-duties, sensible-heroine

Courtney Milan is as dependable and sensible as her heroines, which doesn't mean that she creates boring people with predictable lives. It's that you can depend on her to author a story that makes sense. What she offers in Robert and Minerva are two sensitive people who desperately want to do the right thing despite societal and family pressures to stick to the straight and narrow. It doesn't help that they have personal traumas to sort through. There's always a cruel, jaded part of me that screams, "Oh for crying out loud, just get over it!" but then I backhand that snarky side and say, "Look. They're trying to get over it and isn't it the proper romantic thing that they help each other through it?" Which, I suppose, is what love is all about. Helping even when it hurts.

Happy Holidays, Goodfriends!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duchess War.

Jill Great review, Moira!

I love this - There's always a cruel, jaded part of me that screams, "Oh for crying out loud, just get over it!" but then I backhand that snarky side. Ever seen the Three Faces of Eve?? ;)

M.K. You're not the first person who's mentioned that movie to me! I think we all go multiple every time we immerse ourselves in a story. It's as if we suspend our 'real' self and let the imaginative personality take over.