Sarah Whisted's Reviews > In Honor

In Honor by Jessi Kirby

bookshelves: books-i-own

I should start by saying, I have the hugest heart for our troops and their sacrifice. I also love a story with a southern influence. Having these things combined leaves me slightly more inclined to enjoy this book. Anyway, sometimes while I'm reading a book, I'll already start plotting my review for it and feeling out it's star value. Early on in this book, I knew I liked it, but I think I mostly thought it was because it was an easy, fluffy read, with a predictable but satisfying ending.

But I was wrong. (Sort of.)

The ending wasn't completely predictable and not a-typical as is quite common with this sort of story. In fact, you're almost left wondering what will become of these characters you've fallen in love with, but it's in a good sort of way and hopeful way. And while this was a fairly quick read for me, it was far from easy and fluffy. The context is a real, heavy thing. Brothers, friends, etc... go off to war everyday and when they don't return home it has a major impact on anyone that knew them even slightly. It's life changing for those closest to them. And no two people will mourn their loss the same way, but this story was evidence that it's sometimes easier to get past the pain with someone who knows it just like you.

I think I thought I was about to read a love story, and I guess there was some of that slightly weaved into the story. But the real plot was about moving on, about learning how to live with loss, and growing up. It was pretty powerful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Honor.

December 23, 2012 – Shelved