Melanie's Reviews > Boyfriend Goals

Boyfriend Goals by Riley Hart

F 50x66

beautifully written, memorable characters

Rating: 4.75🌈

I was looking for a contemporary romance to read after finishing a urban fantasy, and picked up Boyfriend Goals by Riley Hart.

What a utter pleasure this was to read! Low angst, a plot driven by fully realized characters in situations that allows them to grow, finding home and true love in a totally relatable,real way.

I went to sleep thinking about Milo and Gideon, their happy life together, friends and family. And they are still with me now.

Hart’s decision to have Milo be neurodivergent is a great one although it might spark some confusion or controversy. Milo is a wonderful character, who’s neurodivergence has effected his life since birth. It’s how he handles it now that will speak to the reader and Gideon.

As I understand it, neurodivergence “now refers to any structured, consistent way that brains work differently for a group of people than they do for the majority of others.”The sources I referenced many different types of neurodivergence, including Autism, which is referred to a couple of times here.

I’m not in touch with the author so I’ve no idea what Milo’s character framework was when planning this story. Whatever it is works! Milo feels so believable and alive for me. His interactions with Gideon, and the others in the community are credible. Whether it’s a new one on one situation or one that’s got Milo in a very stressful place, Hart’s writing is so terrific that it easily conveys that’s this a real life event for him.

Gideon too is a beautifully layered person. His dynamics within his family and how it’s worked through emotionally is heartwarming and heartfelt. Insecurities have no age limit and that’s especially true here.

Hart could have made Milo’s mother more one dimensional instead we get a moving relationship, fundamentally strong with two people who love each other. Again, such a great element among many.

By the end of the story, I was absolutely in love with Milo and Gideon, their combined stores, INK & INK, their new lives together and their community. What a wonderful life!

What a grand story! And one I’m highly recommending!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boyfriend Goals.

Started Reading