Melanie's Reviews > A Shattered Silver Crown

A Shattered Silver Crown by Kai Butler

F 50x66

What a moving, funny, and gobsmackingly magnificent book

Rating: 5🌈

What a moving, funny, and gobsmackingly magnificent book A Shattered Silver Crown is! It’s my favorite of four stories to date in Kai Butler’s fantastic San Amaro Investigations , a series that’s gotten more breathtaking in scope with each novel. Butler seems to be envisioning the future of the universe as well as character growth as something so wildly different, so unexpected that with every new case or turn in the story, the reader never knows what emotionally the impact will bring. On the characters and us.

It could be warm-hearted scenes between the growing found family living with Parker Ferro. It could be wildly humorous ones with brownies determined to have their be dazzling way, or heartbreaking ones as Parker deals with the emotional fallout of his past and his identity. All while investigating cases that could shatter worlds.

Butler’s writing here is just superb. The ramifications from the deep draining family issues that have come from the deaths and devastating events from the previous books are a major factor here. Lauren, Parker’s sister, isn’t right. How this is handled is incredible.

Love, whether it’s family or romantic, and it’s complications , especially when the Fae are involved is a enormous element here. Especially because Parker is Fae. The balancing act he has to make between his two lives is becoming more perilous and harder to do.

Butler’s ability to bring us inside Parker’s often anguished emotional state is heartbreaking and painful. We are so committed to him and want him to succeed even as the odds are increasing against him.

The magical scenes of battle are powerful and believable, imaginative and thrilling. You can feel the heat of the flames around the people you care about!

At the end, the case here has been resolved. But the cost has been high. And there’s hints of a high danger on the horizon. As well as one on the doorstep.

There’s another book, The Heart’s Blood Arrow, coming out Nov 7, 2022. It says it’s the 5 and last story in the series. But honestly, I can’t understand how this unbelievably complicated universe and themes can be wrapped up in one book. It seems unlikely.

I’m highly anticipating that book. But until then, this series is amazing. Read it in the order it’s written. They are not standalone books.

I’m highly recommending each and every one, especially A Shattered Silver Crown (San Amaro Investigations #4) by Kai Butler .

San Amara Investigations Series:
- [x] A Gilded Iron Blade #3
- [x] A Shattered Silver Crown #4
- [ ] The Heart’s Blood Arrow #5 - November 7, 2022
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Shattered Silver Crown.

Started Reading