Kim's Reviews > The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by Benjamin Franklin

I really enjoyed this book far more than I anticipated. I've read a lot about Benjamin Franklin but to read his story in his own words makes it really come to life.

He had a very down-to-earth writing style. I know that some of the words would have been modernised a little at some point in the publication history but you still get a very 18th century style without it bogging down with a lot of needless filler.

My problem with this book though is that there was quite a lot not included. He writes about his life up until 1757. Even though he wrote this parts between 1788 and his death in 1790 he does not have anything after 1757. No lead up to the war. Nothing about the American Revolutionary War. Nothing about the Declaration of Independence, his time in Europe, his time as Postmaster General or as President of Pennsylvania. The biggest events of his life and they aren't included. It is kind of sad.

Still, though, a good book about an interesting and important man.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin.

December 21, 2012 – Shelved