Peachy's Reviews > Number the Stars

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

2095554
Mar 04, 2009

bookshelves: awards, historical-fiction, inspirational, wwii, young-adult, family

Number The Stars is a heartening tale of the solidarity and love shared by a country and her countrymen, even whereby divergent religions could cause no fault. It is a tale woven with endearing and inspiring characters, written in a simple yet poignant manner, by one of the most affecting Young-Adult Fiction writers of our time. Lowry is a master in the art of the subtle details that invoke elaborate and griping visualizations. The prose is ever engaging as the depictions of beautiful scenery are juxtaposed by brutal content, as is unconditional love of man by another’s opportunistic hatred, and innate kindness by enforced cruelty.

Through our protagonist, Annemarie, we are met with candid innocence, as with her admiration of Sweden among other things, she is always hopeful and virtuously in search of freedom. In a child who is courageous enough to admit and face her fears, we learn the true meaning of bravery and what it means personally and as a whole.

This moving piece of fiction is one part, history lesson, and two parts, a lesson in humanity, and I encourage all tweens, teens and adults that haven’t had the opportunity to read it to lend themselves to its splendor.

www.booksnakereviews.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Number the Stars.

12/19/2016 marked as: read

brianna meyers. i love this book