Shellie (Layers of Thought)'s Reviews > Let the Right One In

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist

1987170
Mar 04, 2009

bookshelves: spec-fic-monsters, read-in-2009, element-glbt, favorites, blog-reviews, country-nordic, spec-fic-horror
Recommended for: vampire and horror lovers

As Americans we "love" vampires. So much that in fact what was once horrific has become almost an "icon". Specifically, there are vampire novels of every thinkable sub-genre. We have romance, erotic, mystery, young adult, and classic vampire novels to name a few. Because of this, for an author to write a truly horrifying vampire novel that is out of the ordinary he would have to take a look at the novels available and find an element which has not been used extensively. Which is what I believe John Ajvide Lindqvist did. He took what is commonly accepted as one of the most disgusting things we as a culture see to be happening secretly in our neighborhoods and used it to change the typical vampire story line. He did so effectively, all the while taking the reader's horror to different level.
This was an enthralling read. It scared me. It disgusted me. I was shocked. Which is the point of horror. I want to be truly scared. There should be gore....not a lot, but some, which was the case in this story.
Fortunately, the story went beyond the shock to include interesting and colorful characters and day to day events which balanced out the shock and gore. It has an easy to follow format with small chapters divided into smaller sections which made it easy to pick up and put down. Which is welcome when your scared.
The translation was excellent, which if it is not, can make the story difficult and unreadable. I felt I was reading a book written by a native speaker including enough of the Swedish culture to make it feel like it took place in another country. Personally, I would have liked to have read a bit more of the Swedish customs within the story, but then I like interesting cultural information.
The only thing negative I can say about the book is that the very ending was fairly predictable and I found several typos, and I am a lousy editor.
As for recommendations, I think that this book may offend a number of people. Truly horrifying things often do. So if homosexuality, pedophilia, and appropriately placed gore bother you then this may not be a book for you. I however, enjoyed it and thought it was "fun" if one can truly call being scared and disgusted fun. I enjoy it as long as it is in a book and thankfully not in "real life".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let the Right One In.

March 4, 2009 – Shelved
May 12, 2009 – Shelved as: spec-fic-monsters
May 19, 2009 –
page 90
May 22, 2009 –
page 140
27.29% "This is very dark but a good read so far."
May 26, 2009 –
July 13, 2009 – Shelved as: favorites
November 10, 2009 – Shelved as: blog-reviews
May 11, 2010 – Shelved as: country-nordic
May 11, 2010 – Shelved as: spec-fic-horror

Rose I can't wait for your review of this. I need to get another's perspective.

Shellie (Layers of Thought) I like it so far. I was worried about the translation because so much can be lost if the translator is not good and doesn't have extensive knowledge about both cultures. But I'm relating to it well.
It is dark, but thats the point. Its not fluffy which is what I want from horror, but I'm only on page 90.
I will keep you posted. :)

Rose I like dark too. It's why I loved the first 3 vampire chronicles from Anne Rice. I read another Swedish translated book this year, The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo and it translated really well. I think this did a good job on that as well.

Shellie (Layers of Thought) Now don't give me a hard time.....lol:)but I haven't read any of Anne Rice's vampire books. I know, I know everyone loved them. I read her Mayfair Witches first book, and am half way through another of her books Cry to Heaven (which is really good), and finished one of her erotic books. I think it was like Harry Potter - too much hype, that turned me off. But who knows maybe I will read them one of these days like Dune, The Lord of the Ring, and the Harry Potter series. I have them all on my real book shelves.....Jeez....I need an extra life to read everything I want too or should!

Rose Oh God! Me too! I almost stress myself out when I look at my "books to read" shelf! LOL!