Cornerofmadness's Reviews > Tick Tock

Tick Tock by James Patterson

it was ok
bookshelves: mystery

** spoiler alert ** I got this one because a detective who has adopted 10 kids sounded different and original and I liked James Patterson. This book has ensured I will only get his books from the library in the future. This was horrid and only got the second star for the originality of having a father of ten since that is at least different. The last time I read one of Patterson's series it was Daniel X and every chapter was 3 pages long. I assumed that was because it was YA. No, this was too. 106 chapters, none longer than five pages probably to 'quicken the pace.' It failed. It was a choppy mess but that would have been forgivable if the writing was better.

I didn't realize this was the fourth book in the series until I looked it up on goodreads because the main character is SO flat and uninteresting that after nearly 400 pages I couldn't remember his name.

Michael Bennet is trying to be on vacation but gets called in on a killing. Back at the vacation house, his kids are tormented by the local bullies wherein the violence escalates and he handles it unprofessionally and unbelievably for a cop and/or a father. His wife has passed on and he has a nanny Mary Catherine who seems to be a college student. His dad, now a priest, keeps popping up though I'm not sure why. He adds nothing. Back in the city, some killer is revisiting all the other serial killers of NY (because that's original, cough, such an overdone plot).

So Michael is running back and forth from city to vacation. I couldn't tell you a single kid's name since they barely exist. Michael is also teaming up with an FBI agent Emily and he's trying to sleep with both women. Wow. You can tell two men wrote this since it's a male fantasy and frankly, it's down right creepy. Not that he's trying to sleep with two women per se but HOW he does it. Mary Catherine is obviously much younger. He erases messages from her friends if they happen to be male etc. Creepy. Controlling. And he has the mentality of his teenaged kids.

I don't even really know why the bad guy was doing what he was doing because chapters in his point of view were so self aggrandizing and boring I started skipping them. The end was over the top and ridiculous. I hate writing reviews like this (seriously, go look most of my reviews are 3 stars or higher) but this book is literally just that bad. When all the characters are such cardboard cutouts you can't even remember their names, there's a problem.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tick Tock.

Started Reading
December 20, 2012 – Shelved
December 20, 2012 – Shelved as: mystery
December 20, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Matthew Chisolm awesome book