Katie G's Reviews > Living Dead Girl

Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott

bookshelves: 2014-book-list, contemporary, mystery-suspense, rape, sexual-abuse, young-adult, violence

This book made me feel so many different emotions, none of them good. I was horrified at the way "Alice" was treated. I was sad. Scared. Angry. Sick. I felt gross just reading this book. It's not graphic, necessarily, but you definitely know what's happening, and I soon wondered why I was even reading this book, as it was so disturbing.

But I kept reading because I wanted to see if she managed to escape. I wanted to learn her real name. I was hoping she would realize that he wasn't as powerful as he said he was. (view spoiler)

Ray was such a fantastically written psychopath. That's probably not the correct term to use, but there is seriously something wrong with him - other than just being evil. It's like he doesn't realize what he's doing is wrong. He was abused himself, and we learn more about that through the novel. He sees a mother smack her child, and he says someone should call the cops because that's abuse, and you shouldn't treat children like that. All while he has one girl that he's raping daily (view spoiler) He was so gross and horrible, but I found him completely believable - which is probably the scariest part.

What kept me reading this - other than my desire to see "Alice" escape - were the things "Alice" said. About how broken she was. About why she didn't ask for help. About how she was constantly asking for help, but no one would listen. It makes me wonder how many things I've missed in real life, how many children may have been silently asking for help but were ignored.

This book made me really uncomfortable, but I'm glad I read it. It made me think about things in a new way, and it definitely made me appreciate what I have.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living Dead Girl.

December 20, 2012 – Shelved